Railroad Forums 

• Steam and diesel question

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1011259  by plato1

What do they so with steam engines at LV?
How did the change effect the RR?
Did they keep any steam engines? I heard they were used in low grade lines.
Was LV a low grade line?
 #1011264  by scottychaos

plato1 wrote:What do they so with steam engines at LV?
Everything every other railroad did with steam engines! ;)
the LV began as a Coal hauler, and its rise and fall was tied to coal..
the LV had heavy freight haulers, and fairly "typical" passenger power.
How did the change effect the RR?
What change? steam to diesel? No major operational changes..except diesels now hauled the trains instead of steam.
(your questions arent terribly clear! ;)
Did they keep any steam engines? I heard they were used in low grade lines.
Sadly, not one single LV steam locomotive survived..all were scrapped.
Was LV a low grade line?
Not really, no..
the LV had some major grades in PA, and some to contend with in NY..
Out on the western end of the system it was fairly flat, but the LV had many grades
to contend with, same as other railroads in the region..

If there is anything more specific you would like to know, ask away! :)
Scot
 #1011304  by plato1

I am writing a book about a small town that revolves around a RR. The best example that I have found was LV. I want to have the town rise and fall with the railroad.
What time periods should I focus on?
As far as the fall of the RR what year would be the apex? I read LV was into the 70's.
That last scene of the book, the son smothers his dying father with a pillow. I am very descriptive about a train going by the house at that time. The way I have it written is that the man driving the train is retiring. Instead, could it be The Black Diamond on it's last run? If so would it be hauling coal? What year would that be?
I want to know what kind of jobs are at the RR?
Would the RR men hang with the coal miners, say at a local bar?
Would the RR men hang at a local bar on say, Friday nights?
What is the atmosphere like at a RR? What noises?Smells?
What kind of whistle would the Black Diamond have?
If a man drives a train form hauling coal in the day, is he home at night? How does that all work, driving the trains?
Is it plausible a man (engineer) could drive the same train for say, 30 years?
 #1011576  by scottychaos

plato1 wrote:I am writing a book about a small town that revolves around a RR. The best example that I have found was LV. I want to have the town rise and fall with the railroad.
What time periods should I focus on?
Sounds interesting! :)
"Rise and Fall" covers a span of over 100 years..1850's to 1970's..
As far as the fall of the RR what year would be the apex? I read LV was into the 70's.
The "Golden Age" of the Nort-East Railroads would be 1890's to 1920's..those were the years when railroads were at their prime, very healthy and making lots of money. The first steep decline was during the Great Depression of the 1930's..
then a distinct increase in business during WWII..then a steady decline after WWII, through the 50's, 60's and finally the end (for the LV) in 1976.
Two main factors led to the gradual death of the LV (and other railroads in the region) after WWII
1. the decline in passenger service as every family got a car in the 50's, highways were built, and airlines developed.
2. a drastic decline in coal use, for industry, and for home heating.

If you characters want to experince the "rise and fall" of the railroad, you could start them during, or just after WWII..then end in the story during the 70's..
1950's, 60's and 70's is three decades of serious decline..
That last scene of the book, the son smothers his dying father with a pillow. I am very descriptive about a train going by the house at that time. The way I have it written is that the man driving the train is retiring. Instead, could it be The Black Diamond on it's last run? If so would it be hauling coal? What year would that be?
the Black Diamond Express was a Lehigh Valley Passenger train..hauling passenger cars.
a coal train is a "freight train"..hauls freight cars (coal cars, box cars, etc) no passengers.
the Black Diamond ended in 1959..the late 50's saw the end of passenger service for most railroads,
but the railroads themselves (such as the LV) didnt go out of business until 15 years later, in the mid 70's..

I want to know what kind of jobs are at the RR?
Running the trains: engineer, conductor, brakeman. the amount of men in a train crew depends on the era.
not actually running the trains, but still working for the railroad: shop workers, track crews (fixing the track) managers, office workers, roundhouse workers, accountants, etc. (same kind of office workers you would find at any other business)

Would the RR men hang with the coal miners, say at a local bar?
Probably..but only in the coal mining areas..the coal mining areas are a much smaller district than that covered by the whole railroad itself.
for the Lehigh Valley, if you want coal miners in your story, you are going to be looking at North-East Pennsylvania, Wilkes Barre, Hazelton, Bethlehem areas..
Would the RR men hang at a local bar on say, Friday nights?
absolutely! ;)
What is the atmosphere like at a RR? What noises?Smells?
Depends on what part of the railroad, and the era..railroad shops and yard would be very loud and busy..
during the steam era (up until about 1950) you would have steam whistles, coal smoke, cinders, clanking couplers..very dirty and noisy.
out on the line, it would be much quiter except when a train is passing or stopping at a station.
What kind of whistle would the Black Diamond have?
Depends on the Era..the Black Diamond was hauled by Steam Locomotives from 1896 to 1948.. steam locomotive whistle.
It was hauled by Diesel locomotives 1948 to 1959 - diesel horn.
If a man drives a train form hauling coal in the day, is he home at night? How does that all work, driving the trains?
Generally yes..most of the time an engineer would return home in the evening..
Is it plausible a man (engineer) could drive the same train for say, 30 years?
sort-of..the same *kind* of train, with the same railroad, but the train itself would vary day to day..
different locomotives, and different cars hauled behind it..the train itself is never exactly the same day-to-day..but the "kind" of train could be.
but you could have an engineer who worked "on freight trains" for the same railroad in the same general region, for 30 years..
although he wouldnt start out as an enginner..you have to work your way up to that. it might take 10 years or more before
you could be promoted to engineer..

Scot
 #1011619  by plato1

Thank you for that excellent replay. You have given me a a lot to go with. I thank you. If I have any other questions I will ask for sure. I think I have enough info for now. I think what I will do, is create a fictional town based on LV. I will make sure I put a special thank you in the book for you. If it is a best seller, I will cut you a check or give you cash whatever you prefer. ;) I will be in touch.
 #1030726  by GSC

Co-authored by Scottychaos!

As a published author, I wish you luck. Check out my web site at http://garyscrawford.com
 #1032346  by kilroy

When's the Second Edition coming out Ralph?