Railroad Forums 

• LV tug "Capmoore" goes to scrapper

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#825216  by mxdata

The former Lehigh Valley railroad tugboat Capmoore has been sold for scrap.

MX
 #827626  by Otto Vondrak

mxdata wrote:The former Lehigh Valley railroad tugboat Capmoore has been sold for scrap.

MX
Where was it located? Was it in service or derelict?
 #827654  by scottychaos

From my "LV Maritime operations" webpage, not yet online:

Note 10 - Capmoore - New York Harbor tugboat, diesel powered.

1952 - The Capmoore was built at Jakobson Shipyard, Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY for the LVRR.
hull number 330, ON 263352.

The Capmoore was named for Captain Moore , head of the LV marine department, who retired around the time the Capmoore was built.

The Capmoore still exists, but is currently out of service in Charlestown, Mass. (August 2005)
Her future is uncertain, and she could possibly be scrapped.
see this thread for more info: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=670

Capmoore was later named the Hawkins Point

Designed by: TAMS - high pilothouse
Dimensions: Tons Gross/Net 236/161 100 x 27 x 12
Power: DE 1350 H.P. total 16-278A

and from that other thread
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=670
a post from "mxdata" from 2004:
mxdata wrote:(posted Oct 08, 2004) I finally had a chance to get over to see the CAPMOORE. The tug is presently out of service due to a mechanical problem. She is still in very nice structural condition, although her paint has faded and is peeling in some places. It appears that Moran had her blasted down to the metal and re-primed regularly during her days with Curtis Bay towing as the HAWKINS POINT, so although her present paint job has deteriorated, the vessel has very little rust evident for a tug now over 50 years old. She is moored against the former New Haven Railroad tug BUMBLEBEE, which provides an interesting contrast in details as they are both TAMS designs by Joe Hack, but have differences in both hull and superstructure. She has lost her high towing mast which was replaced by a stubby stick on the pilothouse, and her big topside vents were also landed. When I previously saw her as HAWKINS POINT in Baltimore many years ago she was very little changed from her days on the Lehigh Valley. If you disregard the faded paint, this vessel is in extremely good overall condition for her age. The metal looks in almost as good shape as the former Virginian Railway tug W. R. COE (N&W tug R. B. CLAYTOR) now named the ETHEL TIBBETTS, which also works in the Boston area.
and from 2005:
mxdata wrote: (posted Aug 07, 2005 ) Here is an update on CAPMOORE. The vessel is still out of service at the Autoport in Charlestown, Mass. The main reduction gear has a wiped bearing. She is moored with the former NHRR tug BUMBLEBEE (CROSS HARBOR I.) which is being used as a parts donor for the ex-Moran tug CYNTHIA (CYNTHIA MORAN). Eastern Towboat also has the ex-Erie RR tug AKRON, which is operable.

Doug has been trying to sell the BUMBLEBEE (and maybe CAPMOORE too if anybody is interested) as houseboats, and there have been a few people taking a look at them, but no buyers to date. It is unlikely the tugs will last much longer because the price of scrap steel is quite high right now and I do not know how much longer he can afford to keep them on hand as spare parts sources when they are worth a lot more as scrap. ETB is not a museum, it is an active marine towing company and they have to be able to economically justify the vessels.

Of the two boats the ex-NHRR BUMBLEBEE retains more of her railroad tug appearance, still having the original high towing mast. Both tugs have the original high pilothouses. CAPMOORE is in the best structural shape, really the only problem topside is that the paint has faded. She was previously owned by Moran and they did a nice job of keeping up the hull and superstructure.

So there you have it, two prime museum displays looking for permanent residence. Anybody interested? Time is running out.
it would appear that time has run out.. :(

Scot
 #828240  by Nova55

Same owner also sent the former Erie Akron to scrap with the Capmoore. The Bumblee has been half sunk at a marine for a few years now. We also lost the former PRR tug Chicago this month, and the Erie Hornell a few months ago. Cornell is now one of 3 Joe Hack RR tugs left, the Erie Marion is up in Maine for sale, with a pending sale..out of country. If it goes through the Cornell will be the last unmodified Jakobson RR tug left.
 #830587  by mxdata

Thanks to Scot for taking the time to locate and re-post my old reports regarding this tug. I have been pretty completely preoccupied with current projects and I only get time to look in at Railroad dot Net about once a week now, so it is very unlikely I would have found the time to go and look that information up again.

MX