Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Valley Railroad website

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#810560  by Richard1

A few years ago, James Mack of Phillipsburg, N.J. created a Lehigh Valley Railroad website (http://www.enter.net/~lvrr/) but the last time it was updated was May 15, 2002. Is this person still alive? E-mail messages bounce back. I don't understand people who want to create these websites and then leave them and forget about them. They should be taken down after a certain period of inactivity, which in this case has been eight years!
:(
 #810566  by scottychaos

I think he is still around..I think I have seen him post on some of the LV forums..

It doesnt bother me that a railfan page doesnt get updated..
especially a page for a "fallen flag"..
because what if someone "completes" a page, with all the info they have in their own collection, and has nothing else to add?
in that case, maybe there is simply nothing left to update..
I would rather see what that person has to share, rather than not see the webpage at all..
historic info can stand on its own..sometimes there is just nothing new to add..
I have a few webpages that fall under that catagory..

here is a perfect example:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... Mpage.html
I might never add anything new to that page..ever..
simply because the DMM no longer exists and there is simply nothing left to say..
but I dont think the page should be deleted because of that..
yes, I might update if someone sends me cool new photos or something, or an old newspaper article, etc..
it *can* be updated, if the opportunity arises..but it also might not be..
as far as im concerned, the page is complete..I personally have nothing left to add to it...
if I do ever update it, it will be because someone sends me something they want to share, and they allow me to post it on the page..
thats how the DMM logo ended up on that page, a year or so after I first "finished" it..

I think of pages like that as small finished books about a railroad..
each "book" is slightly different, and has something to offer that the other "books" dont have..
but no one ever expects that a book should be continuously updated..it simply stands on its own..

its not like a sports webpage or something like that, where new stuff is always happening..
there isnt a lot to report on concerning LV activities these days! ;)

although it did bother me when a Finger Lakes Railway "railfan page" hadnt been updated in 8 years..
thats when I went and made a new one! ;)
but Finger Lakes is also an active railroad, there *are* actually things to update, so thats different.

Webpages can serve lots of different purposes..some should be updated often, and its "bad" if they arent..
other pages can stand alone just as pages offering information..if they arent updated, thats not really a big deal because there is really nothing that *needs* updating..
the page is complete as it is..

Personally, I have always enjoyed James Mack's page, I think its one of the better LV "railfan" pages out there..
(I have always wondered though what makes it "semi-official"? thats a bit odd..)

Scot
 #810659  by CAR_FLOATER

Scot! Great website, ESPECIALLY for a Jersey Boy like me! Of all the times I have visited your site, I NEVER saw any of this (is it brand new? prob not, I'm just blind!....)

And, I agree with you wholeheartedly about updating....Whats up with that, anyway? The one thing that DOES bug me, is the proliferation of Yahoo Groups...There are at least 4 LV groups, (one of which I took over, as you know) NOT including the ARHS group. There is NO need for them, and I have seriously considered shutting down the one I "run". But, as is always the case, SOMETHING gets posted, and there is some god info stored within, so it would be a waste, unless I was willing to take the time to "archive" it all first (not likely).

RAH
 #810695  by scottychaos

CAR_FLOATER wrote:Scot! Great website, ESPECIALLY for a Jersey Boy like me! Of all the times I have visited your site, I NEVER saw any of this (is it brand new? prob not, I'm just blind!....)
RAH
Ralph,
not sure what you mean..
are you referring to this:

http://www.enter.net/~lvrr/) but

is so, thats not part of my page! ;)
thats James Mack's LV page..
I agree, there is some good stuff there!

Yeah, the yahoo groups have always bugged me..
but I guess there isnt much that can be done about them..

Scot
 #811037  by CAR_FLOATER

Scot - No, I mean your link to your G&W stuff on your site! Good stuff, thank you for "enlightening" me, seriously! The D&MM was always of interest to me, and all I know of the B&H nad G&W were old articles in Model Railroader "You Can Build This RR" articles from the 1970's.

I know the Mack stuff has been around for a long while, but that makes it no less important to those who are looking for info, regardless of what others think, just like you said. Another one people might not know about (it doesn't seem to get much "press") and gets very few updates is www.LVRR.com

RAH
 #811270  by Kendaia1

Actually, Mr. Campbell updates http://www.LVRR.com periodically, as people send pictures in to be put on the site. I have sent a couple to him of LV stations in my area, and the last time the site was updated was the beginning of this month (5-2010). I find it a very interesting website with many photos I have not seen anywhere else.
 #1192758  by Richard1

Does anyone have any knowledge of a Lehigh Valley passenger train that ran for years between Phillipsburg, N.J. and Pittsburgh, Pa. called the "Lehigh-Pennsylvania Express? This is what I have on it:
It took sort of round-about routing. The train was inaugurated in April, 1916 and operated until July 16, 1938. Public timetables show it as Train #510 eastbound and #509 westbound,  leaving Phillipsburg at 7:50 a.m. and arriving in Pittsburgh at 7:55 p.m. It was turned over to the Pennsylvania Railroad at Mt. Carmel. Returning it left Pittsburgh at 7:17 a.m. and arrived in Phillipsburg at 7:30 p.m. It carried a drawing room parlor car, broiler buffet service and coaches. It passed through Weatherly, Hazleton, Mahanoy City, Shenandoah, and was turned over to the Pennsy at Mt. Carmel, passing through Shamokin and Sunbury and Northumberland, then to Williamsport over the old Northern Central; then to Altoona on the Bald Eagle branch, and then on the mainline to Pittsburgh.  Train #510 ran the same route and was called the "Pennsylvania - Lehigh Express."  It was a daily round trip.
  One source states this train was inaugurated in April, 1916 at the behest of Charles M. Schwab of Bethlehem Steel for steel executives "commuting" to Pittsburgh. The parlor car was cut back to Sunbury on Nov. 1, 1931. The train itself commenced terminating at Mt. Carmel on April 24, 1932. Easton became the eastern terminus on Sept. 29, 1935.
Please reply by e-mail.
Richard Palmer
[email protected]