Railroad Forums 

• EC&N Book

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#784211  by Cactus Jack

I'd be very interested in engineering track charts Elmira - DeRuyter - Canastota.

I have gotten into the text of the EC&N book by Marcham and it is very interesting and readable. A good deal for $19.95.
 #784691  by Lehighton_Man

TB, I would join the effort to compile said book. I've wanted to put a book together from the old Naples line, which the ROW practically cuts through my property. As far as I have found, there is very little documented, for public access of course, about the Naples line. I'm still learning things about the line, even after compiling 2 school research projects about it.
 #785111  by TB Diamond

To be honest I photographed the Naples branch but once as activity was about nill by the time I became interested (1971). Did catch what was left of the Auburn, Cortland and Rochester branch lines plus a bit of the Niagara and L&LE and the Ithaca branch. Missed the Elmira branch altogether. Could possibly put together a compilation of branch lines to include the ex-PRR Elmira branch, ex-NYC East & West Hojack, ex-NYC East Peanut, B&O Rochester branch, ex-Erie Rochester branch and ex-Erie/DL&W up to Wayland plus some others I cannot recall right now, all circa E/M 1970s.
 #785437  by Lehighton_Man

All those pictures would definately be cool to see. I'd buy a book like that.
 #787182  by nydepot

I got an email from the folks in Ithaca that a second printing is back from the printers and available. You have to email them for a quote (to determine tax and shipping). They said the second printing has much better photo quality including the cover. I ordered mine today.

Charles
 #787645  by TB Diamond

Received word that the copy I ordered is on the way. Will give a short report upon receipt unless someone issues one in the meantime.
 #790189  by TB Diamond

Received THE UPS AND DOWNS OF A RURAL LINE by David Marcham (Second Printing) in yesterday's mail. I recommend this book to any student of New York State branch lines or to anyone interested in the Lehigh Valley Railroad in upstate New York.

There are 119 photos and drawings (may have missed a few) dating from the 1800s up to the 1960s. Only about two have been previously published to my knowledge. Additionally, there are nine track diagrams and maps that supplement the information given in certain chapters. Excerpts from five different time tables supplement the text, as well.

The book contains a full bibliography and is fully indexed.

Special extras at the back of the book are a full roster of both steam and diesel power that was utilized on the old EC&N/LVRR over the years of operation and a station list Elmira-Camden.

There are some very rare photos published in this book from the latter days of operation:

One is of a pair of Lehigh Valley Alco FA2 locos behind a wedge snow plow with a caboose trailing taken in Cortland circa 1950-1960. The first unit appears to be the 594.

Another depicts a circus train about to depart Cortland for Auburn with FA1 530 on the point paired with a FB1 in 1951.

Then there are two photos of the final Cazenovia-Cortland run which operated on 30 December 1967. Unusual is the fact that one shows much of the little Cazenovia yard and depot plus the entire little train (Alco RS3 215, a CB&Q boxcar plus the caboose) while the other depicts the job picking up the final cars at New Woodstock.

PJT
 #790334  by Cactus Jack

I just finished reading it. Indeed it is an excellent work with lots of really interesting pictures and some well researched text that flows very well. You really get a feel for the line, the geography and the ambiance. Some good rail stories of various vintages as well. It is also packed with various trivia and data very neatly woven into the story that brings out exceptional details.
 #790993  by Cactus Jack

Anyone have any idea how the Canastota Branch was scrapped out ?
Scrap train or Cats and rubber tires ?

Time frame ?
 #791247  by lvrr325

However it was done, it was done about 1968-69.