Railroad Forums 

• LV Owens Mills NY

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#766477  by LV270

Looking to see if anyone has any information on the LV having a branch in Owens Mills NY.
 #766491  by nydepot

Never heard of one. The main passed east of there and the EC&N was west of there but no line into Owens Mills. Did you read or see something?

Charles
 #766509  by LV270

I have some old slides from a former LV employee , they were marked Owens Mills, (early 1950s-late 1940's) . Not familiar with that end of LV.could be another rr. Thanks
 #766514  by scottychaos

LV mainline a few miles to the east.
EC&N a few miles to the north and west..
Erie and DL&W a few miles to South..

Railroads all around it! ;)
but there was never a railroad to Owens Mills..
No railroad was ever built in the Wyncoop Creek valley..

Scot
 #766589  by lvrr325

probably mislabeled, would have to show them to us to maybe figure out where they actually were taken. Although if they show a well maintained double track line, they're probably on the LV (or Erie or DL&W) main, and if it's a single track perhaps with just cinder ballast and light rail, it's probably the EC&N.
 #766624  by scottychaos

Something I thought of..

I grew up in Waverly..about 4 miles from where "Owens Mills" shows up on google maps and bing maps..
I have NEVER heard of the place..and I know all the small obscure towns around Tioga and Chemung countys..
a highschool girlfriend of mine lived on Wyncoop creek road!

Im wondering if LV270's photo is correct, but modern internet maps are wrong!
because when you look on the internet maps, there is nothing there..
its smaller than Lowman! ;) (if you arent familiar with the area, "downtown lowman" was once 4 houses on 4 corners of a small intersection..
today it is one, abandoned, house at an intersection...the other three houses no longer exist)

and actually Google maps and Bing maps place the location in slighty different places..
google maps shows a small road interstction..
Bing maps shows an empty tract of road, with just one house nearby..
but bing maps is interesting because it pegs the location *right* where a stream crosses the road!
which would make sense for a town called "something mills"..
you would assume there was once actually a water powered mill of some kind..

I see three possibilities.

1. the internet maps have the location right, but it was a bigger town back in the day. (and today it is basically gone!)
2. the internet maps have it wrong, and its really somewhere else nearby.
3. perhaps Owens Mills was once a larger "township" type deal..which might have extended up
to the EC&N tracks..a general name for a larger area..

I was just having an email conversation with a person who is interested in starting a railtrail on the DL&W roadbed in the "Chemung-Wilawana-Athens" area..
I wrote back and said the roadbed is in the Chemung-Wilawana area, but the DL&W never went to Athens..
she said she meant "Athens Township"..which does actually extend up to the state border!
far from the little village of Athens, PA..
so in a weird sense, it is somewhat accurate to say the DL&W roadbed is in Athens!

maybe something similar is going on here?
perhaps in earlier times, "Owens Mills" was a general name for a larger tract of land?
maybe..

so I think its at least possible the photo could be correct, but our modern technology is leading us astray in this case..
I think there is more to this story than meets the eye!

Scot
 #766690  by joshuahouse

Owens Mills was where it is in 1902 according to mytopo.com's historical topos. http://historical.mytopo.com/getImage.a ... g&state=NY. There were more houses there in 1902 then there are now (looks like a farm or two). Is Owens Mills on the slide perhaps actually Lockwood? That is the closest place on the Main.
 #766989  by Lehighton_Man

As Scotty posted, i have reason to speculate that it was labeled Owens Mills because the EC&N, and LV main passed through the township. Sometimes places like those are just considered Whistle stops, or control points.
My 2 cents.
Sean
 #767005  by LV270

appears to be a branch line ,very rural single track , not a main line, will try to post a picture this weekend.