Railroad Forums 

• LV Niagara Branch

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#3173  by WNYRailfan

I was wondering where the LV Niagara branch routing was north west of NY 263 (millersport hwy). I can see that the ROW must have gone under Maple Rd (but I don't think it did in reality because Maple Rd was not completed until the mid 1980s). Then where it went north west of Maple Rd I have no idea. The UB campus and I-990 development has removed most of the visible ROW. I cannot find the ROW until I get near the former ellicott creek bridge on ellicott creek rd (former NY 356).

So can someone fill in the gap between ellicott creek and NY 263?
Also where did it cross Niagara Falls Blvd (US 62)?

Thanks.
WNYRailfan

#4773  by kb0lvz

Found a map of the road.

If I remember right the 290 parallels most of the Niagara Branch from Mainstreet in Williamsville all the way up to the 990

As you can see from this map I found it looks like the line crosses NF Blvd about 2 miles North of Brighton Dr (Maple) and continues NW crossing Ellicott Crick (proper WNY spelling) until it meets up with the NYC at Towanda Crick.

WARNING! Big Files! 1.7 MB each

http://docs.unh.edu/NY/tonw48se.jpg

Here's the NE Buffalo corner from 1948 so you can see where the branch comes from. (Nice detail of Downtown, Frontier, NYC Terminal, etc)

http://docs.unh.edu/NY/buff48ne.jpg

#5986  by JoeS

WNY,

The Niagara branch was exactly parallel to the high-voltage transmission line which runs along I-290. The branch and the power line were parallel from Park Club Lane (Williamsville) to past Ellicott Creek Rd. The tracks were on the north side of the power line.

So, about 200 feet north of where the power line crosses Niagara Falls Blvd. is the spot where the LV overpass was located. I visit the area often and I still can't get used to the bridge not being there, it was a landmark for many for decades. The embankments are totally gone also; I wonder if they were used as fill for some other project.

#6389  by kb0lvz

I know what you mean Joe - I grew up in Williamsville one block from Main & union where the LV's embankment created a wall that seperated the village from everything west. After returning from service the wall was gone and the wide open spaces where the embankment once stood is still strange to see 20 years later.

Anyone have any pictures of that huge coal 'chute' that was on the LV Niagara branch in Williamsville?
 #7064  by WNYRailfan

Pictures of the former LV in Williamsville are hard to find. I have yet to see a picture of the old LV bridge over South Union Rd and Main St. Also the WNYRHS is still looking for pictures of the LV depot in Williamsville. They only have 2 pictures. One from 1974 while the LV still owned the station and one in 1980 when CR owned the station.

WNYRailfan

#7683  by kb0lvz

They need to contact Tom Young at Ed Youngs hardware. He's got a knack for getting his hands on pictures of that type. He's the unofficial village historian.
 #15291  by cp270019

We have a few pictures of LV units in Niagara Falls, Ont, Canada, where the interchange with the CNR was. Included is an extremely rare shot of a C628 #626 heading back light to NFNY. Our museum is looking for any pictures of the LV in Niagara Falls, Ont. If anyone has or knows of some that we could get copies of, please let me know....

Ken
 #1506597  by DGC-24711

Up until the last 10 years or a little more, I had no idea the Williamsville LV Station existed. But I knew why that little doctors office at Main/NY 5 and N. Forest was at that angle like that, with those big blocky stones sitting there too. I don't remember a bridge over Main St. If you drive north on Park Club Lane(?), which abuts the Walker Center plaza, off to the right there's a cement mound of sorts I've assumed held up the LVRR. I do remember the LVRR bridges over Sheridan Dr and Niagara Falls Blvd. When the bridge was clear to be removed over NF BLVD, that was the cue to widen the road. I remember the rails in the pavement on Ellicott Creek Rd and it was such a peak, that when my dad learned my stomach was the last thing to drop when the car came down on the other side, he took to it even faster every time. And the bridge probably came down over the creek because too many kids just kept jumping off it (in that water blechhh).
 #1517495  by Fireman43

15 years and still good info ! I wasn't that familiar with the Buffalo area but of these overpasses I only remember Sheridan dr and Millersport from the late 70's and mid 80's before they came down. Now that you have mentioned the other crossings got me thinking " that is right how did they cross those roads"?

Then the other day i was on Wehrle going under the thruway when i glanced at the LV ROW and realized the thruway underpass had been filled in. Going on the thruway daily in recent years i always glazed at the ROW to the north and noted all the condos now built on the former ROW. I wonder the occupants even know where they are and if they hear trains in their sleep?

Question - what type of traffic did the LV handle toward the end on this line ? very short freight?

thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Mark
 #1517603  by TB Diamond

COJ-32

NE-1

TTN-2/NTT-1 Tues-Thurs-Sat.