Railroad Forums 

• 1970 LeRoy wreck and trichloroethylene spill

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1014753  by lvrr325

In fact, Penn Central had a LOT to do with the LV, as they owned about 80-90% of the company, dating back to 1962 when the PRR bought control to use the road as a pawn in the PC merger preparations. They put some of their people on the board, leased the LV a group of locomotives, and both roads would consolidate facilities and abandon redundant lines in favor of trackage rights on the other road in certain instances. All well documented.

The LV as a company ceased to exist about 1983 - Penn Central purchased all remaining outstanding shares and merged the company, to use the company's losses against their taxes. A few guys made some decent money at that point - that's how Morning Sun Books was founded, shares of LV stock bought for pennies in the 1970s in little groups here and there, sold for enough of a profit to become the investment that started that company.

Since there is no longer a Lehigh Valley, and this line was never conveyed to Conrail, there really is no one to sue except perhaps the corporate descendant of Penn Central - but even that company was taken over and merged into another one in the time since. Penn Central became American Premier Underwriters, or something like that, an insurance company.

In 1971 there really was no such thing as "environmental clean-up" - that stuff was in it's infancy, and it's not hard to find examples of pollution and deliberate dumping that went on for years as a by-product of manufacturing of all kinds. Plus, the LV was bankrupt at the time. Sometimes cleaning up after a wreck meant getting the wrecked cars out of the way, putting the track back in, and running trains again - I've seen photos of LV trains passing the aftermath of other derailments and LV owned or leased cars would just be left where they landed, and picked up or scrapped at a later time. (which is not uncommon, other bankrupt roads did similar things; scrap steel prices were a fraction of what they are now, it likely cost more to dispose of the wrecked cars than the steel was worth). I wouldn't be at all surprised if you start digging where this wreck was you will find pieces of railroad cars buried there.
 #1014786  by Matt Langworthy

BR&P wrote:Older folks have to recall, and younger ones may not know, that going back 40 or 50 years there was not anywhere near the awareness or concern for the environment there is today. I can recall when I first started driving it was no big deal to change your oil in a field - pull the plug, drain the old oil onto the ground, then put the new in. At one time the prevailing attitude was "Well, it's just soaked into the ground, it's out in the country, it won't bother anyone." Ditto the derailment spill. Things have changed. (Although I will admit yesterday I found a can of dihydrogen oxide in my garage and dumped it down the drain.)
Dihydrogen oxide? lol

(I won't spoil the fun for those who don't know what it is.)
 #1014791  by Railroaded

I understand the supposed lack of environmental standards back then, but you would figure that a spill with such nasty chemicals would have been given greater treatment, & have been better cleaned up by now considering it happened near residential/public property with ground water/well contamination & the home owner's basement issues that are involved in this case. It's not on some private industrial land like most other spills or contamination that need clean up after a plant closes or whatever when they need to redevelope a property. I'm amazed that this is still happening. There's a lot of toxic hot spots here in Buffalo and most of them have already had the work done, or at least the plans are in place, funding is underway, and something is being done. This case seems to have been either delayed well past the time of other projects, or even forgotten about to some extent. There's a lot of pollution getting off site here. Wow, it's pretty bad.
 #1014796  by charlie6017

Matt Langworthy wrote:
BR&P wrote:Older folks have to recall, and younger ones may not know, that going back 40 or 50 years there was not anywhere near the awareness or concern for the environment there is today. I can recall when I first started driving it was no big deal to change your oil in a field - pull the plug, drain the old oil onto the ground, then put the new in. At one time the prevailing attitude was "Well, it's just soaked into the ground, it's out in the country, it won't bother anyone." Ditto the derailment spill. Things have changed. (Although I will admit yesterday I found a can of dihydrogen oxide in my garage and dumped it down the drain.)
Dihydrogen oxide? lol

(I won't spoil the fun for those who don't know what it is.)
I bet your well is contaminated now! :-P

Charlie
(One of the dummies that looked it up)
 #1014815  by Railroaded

I found the wreck site on Google. It's pretty obvious from the air veiws. You can see everything from the old right of way, rusty barrels, railroad ties, disturbed soil, the creek, the crossing @ Gulf Rd, the LV's ditches, the water resevoir, and possibly even what looked to me to be the shell of a freight car rotting away in the dingweeds. Looks like it happened on a big "s" curve.
 #1014919  by driftinmark

[quote="Railroaded"]The things that I can't understand are: Why didn't the LV have to take care of the environmental clean up back when the wreck happened? Why have those chemicals been allowed to remain there for so long? Why would the current corporate entity that was once PC not have limited themselves from the liability of this, or other unrelated responsibility after divesting of their former rail operations at the formation of Conrail? The news articles arn't in depth enough to get into the more interesting historic detail of this case. Also does anyone have a map or photo of the wreck site?[/quote]

the problem with this type of clean up is, that once the spill has happened, the chemicals are adsorbed into the ground quickly, with TCE (trichlorethylene) the specific gravity is around 1.4636 and I really have no idea about the cyanide

http://chemicalland21.com/industrialche ... HYLENE.htm

this creates another problem, as it is heavier that water ( dihydrogen monoxide . lol) and it will sink to the bedrock and stay there as a pool or a plume, usually this can be contained somewhat with a series of pump out wells, but in this particular case, the bedrock is fractured in many places.....kind of a geologic nightmare we are talking here.....

in any case the chemicals are still there , there is a plume of about 4 miles heading slowly towards caledonia......and believe me, it has never been forgotten about , this is a site that they print in textbooks........

hope this helps........

http://fli.hws.edu/pdf/2008/research_co ... e/0920.pdf

and now the epa report very interesting reading

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/sites/rods ... 299107.pdf
 #1015031  by roadster

All RR property is treated as a haz mat site due to years upon years of leakage and spillage of most every type of substance carried by the RR's. Either minor trickles from leaking cars or derailment spillage. During the cleanup and testing of the Charlotte NY CSX wreck on 12/23/01. They found diesel fuel in core samples nearly 300 yards from where the locos ended up. What they found was the site which 40 years before had been a stub track used to park, and service the locals engines. "Sins of the past", was a phrase I heard from some of the CSX managers.
 #1015123  by Railroaded

That superfund site report explains a lot. The derailment & spill happened within a perfect storm for major contamination. There really wasn't a fully operational DEC in 1970. The land is just right for spreading the pollution all over the place. It's no wonder that it hasn't been cleaned up yet, it's a nightmare to try & fix, & it's going to cost a lot of money & they still may not get it all out. Some of this problem may remain there forever. I'd still like to know what railroad related entity they keep talking about in the news reports.
 #1015140  by nessman

And probably reason why Kodak will never be liquidated and divested... no one wants to assume the environmental nightmare that lies beneath Kodak Park.
 #1015148  by Railroaded

There are lots of sites around Buffalo that were/ are contaminated and sometimes the nasty stuff has gotten away from the property, but nothing like this LV case were the liquid chemical went to ground so fast & was then never cleaned up, allowing it to contaminate such a large acreage as having left the spill area via run off, ground water, & through the porous bed rock. Most sites around here like Gardenville Yard, Hanna Furnace, Love Canal, or or whatever were excavated & had their contamination cleaned up, capped, & contained on site but that won't work @ the LV wreck site because of the specific conditions that exist there.
 #1015329  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:(Although I will admit yesterday I found a can of dihydrogen oxide in my garage and dumped it down the drain.)
Pff. That's nothing. I shower in that stuff.

-otto-
 #1015385  by march hare

If any of this sounds familiar, it should. Discussion of this wreck has come and gone on this board (and on the LVRR fallen flags board) for several years. See this thread below, which Otto rescued from obscurity.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... ck#p624045

There's an earlier thread where I was trying to see if anybody had additional information, but I can't find it.

As someone pointed out earlier, New York's DEC did not exist in any meaningful way at the time of the wreck, and the Superfund program to deal with sites like this was still a decade in the future. And to be honest, wrecks of this nature were a dime a dozen in that time interval. LVRR alone had two others in the immediate vicinity, one of which caused a larger community uproar because of inadequate cleanup of spilled grain (think rats, big rats, lots and lots of rats....Willard is more than a midwestern rairoad yard). PC had a big one involving an exploding Vinyl Chloride tanker just a few miles north, during that same time interval.

The people of the time (RR staff included) did a reasonable job of addressing the issue as they understood it. People whose wells were noticeably contaminated (ie their well water smelled bad) were equipped with filters by the RR within a few months. Everyone expected the TCE to eventually flush itself out of the bedrock, and based on the lay of the land (with a deep bedrock gorge right nearby) nobody expected the groundwater plume to bypass the gorge and head three miles past it to a natural spring at the edge of Caledonia.

Note, by the way, that the contaminated groundwater does NOT head toward the school. Also note that everybody whose well was contaminated was provided with bottled water, then an in house filter system, then a public water supply hookup almost immediately when the problem was first discovered. That's 1992, several years before these girls were born. Or conceived, for that matter.
 #1015409  by pbass

I've spent most of my railroad career around diesel fuel[i've even been covered in it] and toxic chemicals and show no signs of drain bamage.I play a mean bass guitar with my third thumb.
 #1016131  by ctclark1

(Sorry if this discussion actually ended up continuing in another thread)

http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/arti ... 963f4.html

Of the 80 barrels already tested so far (out of 240 stored on the site), only one contained very trace amounts (not enough to cause any ill effects) of TCE. So far it has not been found to be enough to cause a link between the supposed Tourette's cases at the high school. Looks like the sue-happy litigators will have to find another scapegoat.