Railroad Forums 

• drawings of LV structures?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#608726  by lvrr325

Anyone have a link or a list of published drawings of Lehigh Valley structures, particularly in New York State?

The only ones I'm aware of are the Freeville freight house (MR, 1962), Geneva (MR, early 90s) and Sayre (RMC, I can't remember the exact year). Plus I have a '50s Model Trains or similar with some drawings of an LV tower. I think I've seen drawings for Owego published somewhere too, but I don't remember well enough to say for certain.

As I think about this, I remember Rochester Jct. appearing in MR, and possibly the downtown Rochester station too.

I checked Ed Schaller's page, but didn't see any index for that sort of thing, he has some magazine articles indexed, but not for any of the major magazines. I thought I'd ask here, since he's no longer available to update the site.

I'm curious if any of the other wooden upstate NY stations have appeared. I have good floorplan drawings for Groton and Dryden from LV company files, I'm just wondering if before I went to the trouble to actually go and measure some of the ones I know still exist, if I can just dig up an old magazine with the dimensions all there for me. Particularly smaller ones like the similar ones along the freight main between Geneva and Van Etten Jct or some of the brancline stations like Truxton and DeRuyter.

Dryden I might be able to puzzle out (pretty sure it's long gone) - I don't have the two softbound books that cover the branches, though - does that station appear in either of those books (Lehigh Valley Memories or Gangly Country Cousin)? A little basic math from comparing measurements taken from a picture to the known dimensions aught to work to figure out the height and the window sizes and locations. I probably should pick those up, so I can try to sort out which stations share similar plans, too.
 #609359  by nydepot

New Woodstock was also done in MR, along with Rochester Jct. (big foldout).

I have, what I think, is every plan from the various model magazines over time of depots and support buildings in NY.

There is also a book by Harold Russell of many other plans that never appeared in the model magazines. He covers NY buildings and includes LV drawings he's done.

There is a book on depot plans that used to be available from RMC that includes the DL&W Vestal station (another road I know but speaking of NY railroads).

I'll see what I can dig up later tonight.

Charles
 #609440  by nydepot

Harold Russell book is "Plans of the Lakeshores Region" - contains LV Caledonia, Naples.

Railroad Station Planbook was by Kalmbach and duplicates Freeville.

MR 9/02 - New Woodstock

Mainline Modeler 2/99 - Owasco Lake

Charles
 #609550  by lvrr325

Just sitting here thinking about it, I remembered a couple more I know I've seen drawings of - P&L Jct. and the 1955 Depew station. P&L I think may have been in a Mainline Modeler or similar instead of one of the bigger mags - I remember the article had a picture of it where it's located now.

Depew could have been in MR or RMC, I think there was about a 1957 photo across the fold, I remember being able to identify some of the cars in the parking lot.

If we can put an index together I'll make it available online somewhere, maybe on my old LV site that I kind of gave up on after a couple of people basically duplicated it.
 #609556  by TB Diamond

lvrr325:

No photo of the Dryden station in either book that you mention above.

The Dryden station was demolished during the ConRail era as were the Moravia and Freeville stations, alas.
 #609586  by lvrr325

I seem to recall someone mentioning Freeville went about 1973.

If Dryden lasted into the Conrail subsidized service era, someone must have chased up there and gotten photos at some point... I'd be surprised if the railroad still owned it by then, but who knows.
 #609685  by nydepot

I'm not picking up either Depew or the various spellings/abbreviations of P&L Jct. in the mag index for all the modeling magazines for any railroad.

I also found (not in NY but...):
A flag stop depot
Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette, January/February 2002 page 21
Lehigh Valley Pottsville branch

Also:
NMRA Bulletin, April 2008 page 46 Cedar Swamp station

Charles
lvrr325 wrote:Just sitting here thinking about it, I remembered a couple more I know I've seen drawings of - P&L Jct. and the 1955 Depew station. P&L I think may have been in a Mainline Modeler or similar instead of one of the bigger mags - I remember the article had a picture of it where it's located now.

Depew could have been in MR or RMC, I think there was about a 1957 photo across the fold, I remember being able to identify some of the cars in the parking lot.

If we can put an index together I'll make it available online somewhere, maybe on my old LV site that I kind of gave up on after a couple of people basically duplicated it.
 #609740  by TB Diamond

lvrr325:

Freeville station (freight ) was still intact in early 1976. The passenger station was demolished many years before that.

Dryden was open as an agency as late as 1971, but by 1973 it was empty and, for all purpose, abandoned. Never photographed the station per se, but it does show in some of my photos circa 1973-76.

Will research my slides early next week and see if I can come up with some better dates.
 #609950  by lvrr325

Maybe I'm thinking of a closure date or some other thing, then. Passenger station was gone before 1965, maybe long before. I did email the Dryden Historical Society on that, searching turned up some old web pages telling about one of their meetings I wish I would have gone to, a guy who was a railfan back in the 60s and 70s showed off a lot of pictures and he and the last Freeville agent, Ken Rice, told stories and things.

Depew might be indexed as Buffalo, too, I'm not sure without a map just which it counts as anyways. P&L I think I found by accident in some circa-1988 back issues I was given. May have been listed under the full name Pittsburgh & Lehigh Jct. - but I remember the photo of it at the canal museum or wherever it is now, with flowers and stuff and a nice lawn in front of it.
 #609956  by nydepot

No Buffalo station for any RR and nothing spelled out for P&L. I tried those already. Keep thinking.

Charles

[quote="lvrr325"]Depew might be indexed as Buffalo, too, I'm not sure without a map just which it counts as anyways. P&L I think I found by accident in some circa-1988 back issues I was given. May have been listed under the full name Pittsburgh & Lehigh Jct. - but I remember the photo of it at the canal museum or wherever it is now, with flowers and stuff and a nice lawn in front of it.[/quote]
 #610775  by TB Diamond

Former Lehigh Valley stations extant on the Auburn branch, compass S to N from Owego to Moravia (without looking at existingstations and dated a bit): Flemingville (or Flemingsville, depends on who you talk to and that is a long story), Newark Valley, Berkshire, Groton, Locke. Berkshire was a feed mill office, Groton was used for storage as was Locke.

The P&L station is at Genesee Country Museum, Mumford, NY. Moved there in 1977 or 1978.....would have to consult the slide files for confirmation on the year.
 #611172  by TB Diamond

Back in 1953 I was working on a dairy farm near Newark Valley, NY. On NY Rt. 38 going north the official NYS cast iron village sign said "Flemingville". On the sign going south it was "Flemingsville". Caught a ride from school one evening with my Ag teacher and he related the story: Seems that there was a dispute as to what was the correct name for the village when the highway department proposed placing the signs (I suppose circa the 1930s). Therefore, one sign went "Flemingville", the other "Flemingsville". This was on the origional alignment of Rt. 38, several years prior to the construction of the present highway which bypasses the village to the east. Don't know if the signs still so read or if the dispute was ever resolved. Do note that the Lehigh Valley ETT states "Flemingville", however.
 #611314  by Otto Vondrak

lvrr325 wrote:Anyone have a link or a list of published drawings of Lehigh Valley structures, particularly in New York State?
A great search tool for trackplans, drawings, and articles:

http://index.mrmag.com/

Just search for "Harold Russell," there's too many to list here. You can also search by roadname.

-otto-