Railroad Forums 

• LV cabooses in Milan, PA

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#574540  by scottychaos

Three miles south of Sayre is tiny Milan, PA, along the LV mainline.

I have known for years, from the LV caboose list that two LV cabooses exist in Milan..but I have never driven down there to check them out..until now! :)

The station still stands..and looks pretty good!

Right next to the station, alongside the LV mainline (today this section of former LV is operated by Norfolk Southern) sits two LV cabooses.

First is LV 95096, which has been repainted into a nice LV scheme:

the second caboose is LV 95065, still wearing 1970's Conrail blue:

I was leaving, walking back to my car, when I noticed a headlight away to the north!
a train coming! ;D

A short NS local, leaving Sayre and heading toward Towanda.

In the lead is NS SD60 6706, formerly Conrail 6846.

And bringing up the rear, "push-pull" fashion, is NS GP40-2 3060.
also a former Conrail unit!

The Milan station is FOR SALE!
$60,000
here is its listing:

http://tinyurl.com/5tygcv

it doesnt say if the two cabooses come with it or not..
although the cabooses are featured prominately in the listing photos..
so they probably are!

Scot
 #598295  by JC1076

I also stumbled across these cabooses back in June and got a couple of photos:

http://prr1361.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1303077

http://prr1361.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1303073

http://prr1361.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1303059

http://prr1361.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1303060

There was also a realty sign posted at the station when I was there; I wonder if it's still up for sale.
 #835898  by jmp883

I went home to Sayre this past weekend to visit family and of course I left my digital SLR at home in NJ! Thank goodness my cellphone has a camera. As I was driving up US-220 I remembered the LV cabooses at Milan but due to road work on Friday it was just easier to stay on the main road. When I left for home on Sunday I stopped and got these photos with my cellphone. Please forgive the low quality of the pics.

It's sad to see the LV main reduced to one track and I won't even comment about the Sayre Yards. But there still is some rail activity back home. I heard whistles each night I was in Sayre, and somehow, that was reassuring.
 #838676  by GSC

Nice pics guys. Thanks for posting!

I wish I saw this thread a week ago. I drove up to visit family in Lockwood NY, and went right by here on 220. If I knew about this, it would've given me something to do while sitting in construction traffic coming home Tues, Aug 10.

Warning: Rt 220 has a couple of construction sites between Milan and Ulster, and the backups are long.

In trade, I saw a bit of CP action westbound through Waverly. Ted Clark's Busy Market is a good train watching spot.
 #871429  by PassRailSavesFuel

GSC wrote:Nice pics guys. Thanks for posting!

I wish I saw this thread a week ago. I drove up to visit family in Lockwood NY, and went right by here on 220. If I knew about this, it would've given me something to do while sitting in construction traffic coming home Tues, Aug 10.

Warning: Rt 220 has a couple of construction sites between Milan and Ulster, and the backups are long.

In trade, I saw a bit of CP action westbound through Waverly. Ted Clark's Busy Market is a good train watching spot.
So what"s the update on Milan? Who owns this? Did it sell? What a nice building!
 #1089038  by jmp883

I was back home in Sayre the weekend of 9/29-9/30. Because of the nature of this particular visit railfanning wasn't very high on my list of priorities. However on the drive back to NJ, as I was driving down US-220, I remembered the cabooses at Milan, PA. Sure enough, they are still there! Even though I had my digital SLR with me I didn't get any pictures due to the weather. I am planning to be back in Sayre within the next month or two and will definitely get some pictures as long as the weather cooperates.
 #1216623  by scottychaos

Update! September 2013.
Reports on another forum say the station has now been sold! :)
and the new owner has recently knocked down part of the west wall (the side away from the tracks)
and has installed a garage door! (purists may cringe..but IMO it beats the alternative..having the building remain empty
and eventually falling apart..at least it appears the new owner plans to do something with the building..
and most buildings change and adapt to new use over time..)

No new news on the cabooses though..
it is not yet known if the new owner of the station also purchased the cabooses as well.

Scot
 #1304832  by scottychaos

Update! November 2014.

The two LV cabooses in Milan are for sale.
The one in CR blue has already been sold, and the one in LV red, 95096, is still for sale.

If anyone is interested, PM me, and I can get your info to the owner.
thanks,
Scot
 #1449708  by jmp883

I was back in Sayre visiting family several times during the summer and early fall of 2017 and those cabooses are still there. The station is also still standing though I couldn't tell if it was in current use or not.