Railroad Forums 

• 32 Years Ago (March 31, 1976)

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#526542  by JimBoylan

Sorry, I was down in the other Philadelphia, in Pennsylvania that day. I got acquainted with the old Lehigh Valley in Oct. 1984, when I started diving on the canal boats in Seneca Lake and wondered what all those old railroad lines used to be.

#527042  by Zeke

Myself and several of my fellow Penn Central engineers were ordered by our Road Foreman of Engines Paige Haverty to meet Mr. Nocitra the Lehigh Valley New York div. superintendent the next day 4/1/76 at 91 Bay to discuss the LV terminal operation and begin to qualify on the physical plant of the LV from Johnston ave in Jersey City to R tower in Allentown, Pa. I had been working the H-618 Enola pool crew out of the Meadows. Conrail was preparing to gradually reroute thru freight trains off the NEC and run them over the exLV and RDG to Harrisburg and they needed engineers and conductors to qualify on the new routing.

The LV men hated us at first but as time passed most of them became good friends, a big hearted excellent bunch of safe, dedicated railroaders.

#529352  by psdstu

I was in the Navy in 1976, but was fortunate to have grown up around Ithaca and can clearly remember the LV both downtown, as well as the East Ithaca Branch that used to bring coal to the Cornell power plant.

I don't remember the year, but I do remember when the LV tracks were ripped up between Ithaca and Trumansburg.... and Geneva.

I was also lucky enough to have seen the DLW switchback tracks up on South Hill that ran down to Buttermilk Falls and over the LV.

All just a memory now.....

Stu

#529405  by TB Diamond

Stu:

FYI: The Lehigh Valley Railroad abandoned the Ithaca branch, Ithaca-Trumansburg, 10 miles, in 1962. Geneva Jct.-Trumansburg, 27miles, was abandoned in 1967.
 #551209  by bluegrass-express

Mike Stellpflug wrote:I hung out at Rochester Jct. after school. ....
And I have an incriminating photo to prove it. Mike's seen it before, though. I could show it again if driven to it. :-)
The weekend before April 1 I took 3 other railfans from Rochester to New Jersey and back to catch the last gasp of LV, EL, RDG, and CNJ. Our first stop was near Farmington NY for a LV westbound with #311 in the lead.
On the return leg, we found a couple dozen diesels at Sayre.
photo by Bob, March 1976
 #551367  by bluegrass-express

Yes. And to his right is Paul Templeton, who I understand convinced the Towanda Monroeton Shippers Lifeline (?) to paint their EMD switcher in a scheme that echoed the LV.
Bob
 #551691  by TB Diamond

Many years ago Joe Zadrusky of T-MSL once mentioned to me that he would like to repaint his locomotive. He wanted some photos of a like LV unit. Had recently (circa E/1980s) photographed LVRR #112 in TN, so furnished Joe with some color photos of the unit. Last time I saw the unit (Fall, 2006), it still had the same paint scheme.
 #551809  by CPSmith

Farmington? I'm going to guess (judging by the power lines, the second track and the proximity to a grade crossing (behind the photographers) that the location is Blacksmith Interlocking just west of Manchester Yard at County Rd. 28
 #551846  by bluegrass-express

CPSmith wrote:Farmington? I'm going to guess (judging by the power lines, the second track and the proximity to a grade crossing (behind the photographers) that the location is Blacksmith Interlocking just west of Manchester Yard at County Rd. 28
I know it was between Farmington and Manchester yard - our next stop was Manchester roundhouse.
Since I was navigating, driving, and trying to catch some pictures, I wasn't always clear on location. County Rd 28 looks about right - close enough to Rt.96 that I could pull off and park.
 #552029  by TB Diamond

Blacksmith Int.
 #552649  by Lehighton_Man

Wow, thanks for the old Image, it brings a slight tear to my eye, but its of joy to see the Valley making the best of her Last Hurrah before Conrail Day 1.
If anybody has anymore, please up them up for us to enjoy our Cornell Red old lady in her final days of operation. :( :P :wink:
Cheers.
Sean
 #552750  by dj_paige

Where/what was Blacksmith Interlocking? Some of us don't have that detailed knowledge of the LV. Thanks!
 #552766  by BR&P

County Road 28, roughly a mile west of the west end of Manchester Yard.
 #552824  by dj_paige

What “interlocked” there? Siding? Yard leads? Team track? Crossovers?