Railroad Forums 

• 32 Years Ago (March 31, 1976)

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#552940  by TB Diamond

dj:

Blacksmith Interlocking was what many railroads would refer to as a control point. This was a remote controlled interlocking controlled by the operator at Niagara Jct. and was a integral part of the Lehigh Valley Railroad CTC system. The interlocking, or control point if you wish, featured a power switch and signals governing movement over this switch. The power switch controlled movement to either track 1 or track 2 off of single track for a e/b movement or, for a w/b movement, to single MT from either track 1 or track 2. There was a metal bungalow on the south side of the interlocking which contained all the electrical apparatus. The location gained its name from nearby Blacksmith Corners (intersection of Co. Rd. 28 and NY Rt. 96) and was put in service on 21 March 1972 per Lehigh Valley RR Zone E G.O. 918.
 #553528  by bluegrass-express

Lehighton_Man wrote:Wow, thanks for the old Image, it brings a slight tear to my eye, but its of joy to see the Valley making the best of her Last Hurrah before Conrail Day 1.
If anybody has anymore, please up them up for us to enjoy our Cornell Red old lady in her final days of operation. :( :P :wink:
Cheers.
Sean
Here's one more of mine from Feb.1976, #216 crossing over to work at P&L Junction. Maybe it's been mentioned, but the station has been moved to Genesee Country Village, restored to operate in food service.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/ ... 2-1976.jpg

Here are 2 websites I've been looking at lately with pictures and maps, maybe you've already found:
http://www.lvrrmodeler.net/
http://lvrr.com

The LV historical society near Manchester doesn't actually have pictures up, but the museum in Shortsville (yes, ex-NYC) houses some artifacts and pictures.
http://www.lvrrhs.org/
I haven't made it to the museum in Sayre yet.
regards, Bob
 #553543  by TB Diamond

bluegrass:

As of this past October, the section shed shown in your photo of P&L Jct. is still extant. However, it has collapsed and now rests flat on the ground.
 #553831  by Mike Stellpflug

A couple of scans from my little 110 instamatic. Taken in March 1976.

Apollo 1 from the Clover St. Bridge.

A westbound local at Rush Int.
 #554619  by Lehighton_Man

Very nice Mike. Like the Yellow Jacket making its last stand :D
Those U23Bs the LV got were funny units, being funded by the Government for Conrail hah.
Cheers.
 #753890  by clifford1

TB Diamond wrote:Many years ago Joe Zadrusky of T-MSL once mentioned to me that he would like to repaint his locomotive. He wanted some photos of a like LV unit. Had recently (circa E/1980s) photographed LVRR #112 in TN, so furnished Joe with some color photos of the unit. Last time I saw the unit (Fall, 2006), it still had the same paint scheme.
Sorry for the thread hi-jack. I am gathering the history of TMSL SW-1 # 26 and would like to know more about the early years on the TMSL, as well as the paint scheme decision process!! Contact info for Mr. Zadrusky would be great, as I would love to get some more information on the locomotive and early operations of the TMSL. Seems the line has been sold to the R&N.

Here is a link to my site: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze14e54i/index.html

Any help is appreciated!!

Chris C.

[email protected]
 #754484  by TB Diamond

The SL&S was rebuilt about M/1976 between Towanda (Washington St.) and Monroeton. The State of Pennsylvania financed the reconstruction of the line, if memory serves. The bridge just compass south of the feed mill in Monroeton was also repaired as part of this project. Some questioned why the bridge was repaired as it was the end of the line. The reason given was that it was a possible the coal fields in the Bernice area could be redeveloped at some time in the future and would require rail service. Seems far-fetched, but that is how recall has it. Had a collection of Towanda Daily Review and Sayre Evening Times news articles about the reconstruction of the SL&S and the start up of theT-MSL, but donated same to the Sayre museum back in 2003.

The repaint of no. 26 was not a rapid process. Photographed the unit at Monroeton painted red with black frame and pilot on 06 June 1983. The next time I photographed it, on 28 April 1984, the repaint had been completed.

When the repaint was being considered, I asked Mr. Zadrusky if he was going to letter the unit. He replied in the negative, stating that the name of his line would be too long. I sugggested to simply letter it T-MSL but this was never considered.
 #773326  by Matt Langworthy

Mike Stellpflug wrote:Switching at Roch. Jct., as seen from RS-2 #217.
34 years ago in March 1976.

<snipped>
Sweet! I miss the days of EL and LV...