Railroad Forums 

• Bringing LV equipment to Victor Rail Days...

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#522910  by BR&P

The line needs some relatively minor tie work to bring it to standards which would allow passenger operations. The original plans called for a May festival which might have been too ambitious a date. This year's festival has been scaled back and re-scheduled for August which will all parties to be comfortable with preparations, planning and execution.

#523096  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P, for those of us just joining tonight's program, can you please explain what "excepted track" is, and what the minimum requirements are to allow passenger trains? I'm a little unclear on this, myself.

-otto-

#523106  by BR&P

The track standards set forth in government regulations go from Class I to Class 9. Each higher class has more rigid standards, and allows greater speed. For example, on Class I track freight is allowed 10 MPH, passenger is allowed 15. For Class II, freight may go 25 and passenger 30. And so on.

For track which does not meet Class I standards, there is "Excepted track". This is sub-class I and no passengers are allowed, and no more than 5 haz-mat cars per train.

As you may expect, Excepted track can cover a wide range of conditions. On one hand you could have a proverbial streak of rust, few good ties, excessive crosslevel, you name it. ONCT is at the other end of the excepted spectrum. We have had various tie programs through the years, including a state-funded program a couple years ago which ran almost a half million dollars. Most of the parameters have been met to raise above the Excepted status.

When all was said and done, we discovered some technical defects. In some cases, a good tie was located just outside the prescribed distance from a rail joint. While overall there were enough good ties, the placement was not what the book requires. Let's say you car has a burned out light bulb on a side marker. The car is perfectly safe to drive, but a cop could give you a ticket if he wanted.

So the FGLK is going to install ties as needed on the former ONCT. This will bring the line into legal compliance and will allow upgrading to a Class I - and perhaps higher - category. Unfortunately, these defects are scattered here and there rather than all in one place, so the entire line is being walked and marked as they are located, one here and one there. It's time consuming but FGLK is committed to doing it safely and legally - as ONCT was before it.

A bit more patience and you should be able to ride the line later this summer. Hope this explains it, Otto.

#523421  by GOLDEN-ARM

Here's a "technical" definition of excepted track. FRA Excepted Track

#524049  by WNYP431

No passengers on excepted track? None? Not at all? For ANY reason? Are you sure? No matter how good your intentions are?

Boy, I know some people who aren't going to like that when they find out.....
 #532867  by Matt Langworthy

TB Diamond wrote:Received an email this date from a person residing in upstate New York relating that Victor Rail Days has been pushed back to 2009. Reason given was that FGLR did not want to operate passenger equipment on the former LVRR until some track improvements were accomplished.

Further information/confirmation appreciated.
If this is true, I don't mind... as the Route 96 bypass would make a chase very difficult. The detour would take me too far way from the tracks and would slow me down considerably. Next year will be a better choice, IMO.

#532875  by BR&P

Victor will have the rail festival in August - I don't have the exact date in front of me but may be about the 23rd.

Nothing official - this is just my observation - but work on the RT 96 bridge is coming along very nicely, the new piers have been poured and steel is being installed. I would not be surprised if the road has been reopened by the date of the festival.

#532890  by Lehighton_Man

Geez, i better hope so. With what is said about the size of this event, and that Rt. 96 bridge into Victor being a main route, man, i hope they get it done, or some lengthy detours might have to be set up. Hopefully, lets just hope that the construction doesnt deterr people away from the festival.
On the sight of equipment, im No Dice. I could try to contact that URHS item down in NJ about bringing their F's to the festival, but i can sense that its out of the idea, since transportation costs is what would kill us.
Anyway, have fun until then.
Cheers.
Sean

#533223  by Matt Langworthy

BR&P wrote:Victor will have the rail festival in August - I don't have the exact date in front of me but may be about the 23rd.

Nothing official - this is just my observation - but work on the RT 96 bridge is coming along very nicely, the new piers have been poured and steel is being installed. I would not be surprised if the road has been reopened by the date of the festival.
That's good news, as far as I'm concerned.

#533324  by BR&P

The event this year will be on a more modest scale than some have dreamed of - no A-B-B-A LV F units, no visit by Bobby The Big Boy. As the various parties get some experience and exposure, it is hoped that following years will get bigger and better. It's better to start off small and grow, than try to bite off more than you can chew the first year.

#534900  by Lehighton_Man

Good Point BR&P.
Here is an idea that i can do though:
Anybody know of a Modeling company who can sell Boxcar kits in a whole sale? I threw an idea around w/ the HS about painting 50 or so ficitional boxcars for the festival, and selling them at the festival, like buy a special party ticket and get a LVRRHS boxcar free kinda thing.
Anybody can help me there?
wait! Brain power moment!!
Use the money for that, to put in for preserving a Caboose!!!
I am goooooood :-P

#534974  by scottychaos

speaking of cabooses..
who actually owns the two cabooses in Manchester?
and what are the future plans for them?
Did we ever actually find out?
I cant recall ever hearing anything specific..

On the left, in CR MOW grey, is CR 46142, ex. PC 19109, nee PRR 477203.

On the right, wearing rusty CR blue, is N5G CR 18632, nee LV 95100.

Scot

#535014  by Otto Vondrak

Lehighton_Man wrote:Anybody know of a Modeling company who can sell Boxcar kits in a whole sale? I threw an idea around w/ the HS about painting 50 or so ficitional boxcars for the festival, and selling them at the festival, like buy a special party ticket and get a LVRRHS boxcar free kinda thing.
Contact Accurail about making custom cars. It will be cheaper and better quality in the long run.

-otto-

#535272  by Lehighton_Man

Yeah, thanks for the post otto.
I remember they actually made the decals for you, and all you had to do was apply them and build the kit. i remember reading an article about that in an older issue of MR.
Thanks anyway otto.
Scotty - Sad to see a LV relic rust like that. by the looks of it, its close to nothing for preserveable. It would require much work, and the main question is: wheres the money gonna come from. It would be nice to restore such item to charter it for private use on LV excursion runs, but with a car like that, i can estimate: about $17,000+ for restoration, add the moving costs - probably another $3200, plus maitenence, and it just goes from there. Unless it was privately purchased, then were SOL.
Sometimes the realworld stinks dont it?
haha
Cheers.
Sean