Railroad Forums 

• Boxcars in Manchester

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#748491  by expensivelawnmower

Having grown up in Manchester, I remember the 40' boxcars were occasionally moved and the grass and spilled grain cleaned up from time to time. I believe the grain company moved them back and forth with a tractor. The rails were broken a few yards west of the cars and since the installation of the Rt. 21 crossing all the track/switches that led to the cars have been removed. I think this included a track that went to the glass factory which I understood was preserved for some time in case they ever needed rail service.
Evan J. West
 #749124  by scottychaos

No need to close this thread..
slight drifting of threads isnt a crime..
discussion of the boxcars can continue later, if something new comes up..(which it probably will! ;)

"Koppers" is a known manufacturer of railroad ties..(uses lots of petroleum products..creosote and such.)
might not be the same company that had a small division near the roundhouse, but it seems likely.

Scot
 #749128  by CPSD40-2

Wasn't that A&K Railroad supply? I remember a few years ago seeing ONTC pick up a couple gons of tie plates from there, but recently it doesn't look like there's any business of that sort in there. Just stacks and stacks of rotting ties.

With regard to the boxcars, for all of you LV modelers this is a very rare opportunity to document the details of such a boxcar. Even at their age, they still are very much intact and in decent shape; not that you could haul anything in them, but they're not rusting into oblivion! Perhaps that paint the LV used wasn't so bad after all!
 #749302  by PassRailSavesFuel

CPSD40-2 wrote:Wasn't that A&K Railroad supply? I remember a few years ago seeing ONTC pick up a couple gons of tie plates from there, but recently it doesn't look like there's any business of that sort in there. Just stacks and stacks of rotting ties.

With regard to the boxcars, for all of you LV modelers this is a very rare opportunity to document the details of such a boxcar. Even at their age, they still are very much intact and in decent shape; not that you could haul anything in them, but they're not rusting into oblivion! Perhaps that paint the LV used wasn't so bad after all!
Too bad, if everyone who has stopped by to check out the cars over the last few years did ten minutes of work restoreing the cars. We'd have a nice display!
 #1034753  by expensivelawnmower

Followed an eastbound from Farmington to Rt. 21
last night and noticed there are only 2 LV 40' boxcars.
I don't find any posts since the first one and (2) 50' wrong-ways
were scrapped. Anyone got anything solid on this?
 #1034813  by scottychaos

expensivelawnmower wrote:Followed an eastbound from Farmington to Rt. 21
last night and noticed there are only 2 LV 40' boxcars.
I don't find any posts since the first one and (2) 50' wrong-ways
were scrapped. Anyone got anything solid on this?
In 2005 (and for many years before that) there were still four steel boxcars and two wood boxcars in Manchester..
I heard at least one of the wood cars was saved/moved..not sure where..

http://www.frontiernet.net/~scottychaos ... ester.html

One of the steel cars was part of the "display train" in Victor last September:

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=85966

So thats three of the steel cars accounted for..(that one, plus two still in Manchester)
I believe (but am not certain) that both steel cars, that left Manchester, are still alive nearby..
and I believe one of the steel cars is destined for the display track at Rochester Junction..

Might have some updates on the status of all the cars a week from today..

Scot
 #1035085  by lvrr325

At one time there were five total steel cars. Given the price of steel I wouldn't be surprised to see any or all of them cut up pretty much at any time - but I'm not sure the one in Victor even belonged to the same owner as the others.
 #1466460  by blackbearford

I was a bit preoccupied watching FGLK switch cars with a new lease SW1500 but I believe the two remaining 40’ LV boxcars are on a new panel of track and slightly further west than where they’ve been my entire life. I’ll have to double check as the improvements in this area skew my perspective.. most recently and notably: the red barn opposite the intersection of Merrick Ave and Merrick Circle is gone, the grain company now under a new name. The only track accessing those boxcars was torn up around the time the new sidings were installed and the rails were broken anyway.
 #1466487  by BR&P

Of the 5 steel cars there originally, one is in Victor, one I THINK is at Rochester Junction, one got scrapped. I believe one or both of the remaining cars is supposed to join the phony LV bay window caboose on the opposite side of Rt 21. Of the two wooden cars, one was scrapped, the other, LV 75510, is in Victor.
 #1466575  by blackbearford

Yes, the car that was farthest east in Manchester now resides in Rochester Junction. I took several pictures last year.
Also have pictures of the complete group in Manchester while the first car was being scrapped, I’d have to look for a date on this. It’s been a while now.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147241567 ... 7619280712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don’t believe there was ever 5 steel cars there, I recall a 5th in Victor along with the ONCT plow; I believe they used it for MOW purposes and saw it passing through Manchester once probably 20+ years ago dragging a replacement (or replaced?) piece of rail through the snow. The salvaged 50’ wooden car sits there now (Victor, NYC Auburn track) and the plow also remains though I’ve never seen it moved.
 #1466700  by BR&P

The steel car which ONCT used for MW work, LV 72300, was once one of the 5 at Manchester. It was the first of the 5 to be sold by the grain dealer.
 #1478480  by blackbearford

Went down to check out the roundhouse again and saw fresh primer on the lonely pair in Manchester since Sunday. One gray one red. New hoses and knuckles. Love surprises like that. A Port-a-john has been picked up by the roundhouse. Maybe they’re done over there?
 #1478538  by BR&P

Very belatedly discovered a typo in my post 2nd above this one. The steel LV boxcar currently at Victor is 62300, NOT 72300. Sorry for any confusion.