Railroad Forums 

• Boxcars in Manchester

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#244084  by CPSD40-2

One of them has ben cut & scrapped on site. Not sure of the destination for the "easternmost" car, which still sits there, heard it might bbe saved for a historical group (?) The other 2 steel cars will remain for grain storage.

#244320  by RS112556

If it's the wood sheathed cars you are refering to, it is my understanding one was to be given to the LV Historical Society. Both are/were on cribbing (no trucks) and are looking worse by the day. Before long there won't be anything to save.

#244401  by CPSD40-2

Yup, those are the ones.

It was sad to see just a set of trucks sitting where the one car used to be. Guess we knew it was inevitable.

#389110  by BR&P

The car which was scrapped was a steel one, not wood.
 #553563  by GOLDEN-ARM

Thanks for those updated pics, blue. I wonder if the owners would allow a group to repaint them, for "preservation"? Seems like it would be a decent project, for some Valley fans in the area.......... :wink:
 #553661  by bluegrass-express

I've noticed panels of track appear along the LVRR trail south of Rochester, one in Mendon, over the past year. A friend tells me the intent is to move a couple of the boxcars to display. Nothing has happened yet.

http://www.monroecounty.gov/Image/LEHIGHTRAILPARK.pdf
The trail covers the former mainline from the Genesee River to the Victor/Fishers area, and up the Rochester branch from Rochester Junction north (LA&L operates to Lehigh Station Rd). There are a couple kiosks or signage to relate the railroad history.
 #554618  by Lehighton_Man

They already have a Caboose, what they really need is a LV Diesel unit. Would be very nice if one of the C420s was purchased and put on display in Cornell or Yellow Jacket.
As for the Boxcars, i am unsure about them going to the LVRRHS. I've been looking into the Caboose there behind the school on Rt. 21 for display by the LVRRHS(maybe a full restoration once funds become availible? :wink: ) but for now, we shall wait to see the fate of the other 3 thats left.
Sean
 #554629  by TB Diamond

One of the box cars in Manchester was to go to the display track at Rochester Jct. Problems arose with clearances on the route from Manchester, this related by a member of the Mendon-Honeoye Falls Historical Society.
 #554689  by NYSW3614

Apart from a temporary loan (ie the DL&W switcher from D-L) Steamtown won't take or accept a diesel. However, D-L did just get a DL&W boxcar.
 #557865  by Lehighton_Man

How much of Manchester Yard was still there in the time of that picture? Im sure that line saw if little activity by the maybe 1 train a week? And those Boxcars have been sitting there for THAT long? Damn, might take a bit of extra work if we were to get one rolling. It'd probably need quite a bit of coaxing with a FGLK unit to get one rolling, im gonna guess the brakes are probably frozen. anyway.
Sean