Railroad Forums 

• Pups and coal

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1506222  by nydepot

Were the pups used mainly on the front of trains, in a 3 to 5 unit configuration, with nothing on the endor did they use them on the end on branches with a grade. I'm looking at lines in the coal fields, not general switching on flat lines. Thanks.

Charles
 #1506244  by OvidPete

I suggest that you look at "Lehigh Valley in Color Vol III" p 81for a photo of 4 pups on the head end of a coal train on the Easton and Northern Branch. "Lehigh Valley in Color Vol IV" p84 shows 4 pups on the head end of a coal train at Black Creek Jct on the Hazelton Branch . Also "Lehigh Valley Railroad, The Wyoming and Buffalo Divisions" by Mike Bednar chapter 3 has photos of Pups on the front of coal trains around Hazelton etc.
 #1506367  by BR&P

So you are actually asking if pups were ever (or often) used as pushers?
 #1506393  by nydepot

I have those books and know how many pups were on the head end of coal trains, hence my 3-5 comment. There are tons of photos online too plus all the videos I have.

As BR&P says, did they ever need a push on heavy trains? I found a Mike Bednar comment where he talks about pups leading a train and it needing a push out on the Cement lines.