Railroad Forums 

• 40th anniversary of last day of Lehigh Valley RR

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1378041  by kilroy

Nice photos.

I always wondered if they picked 04/01 for Conrail day as they thought it would turn out to be just a bigger Penn Central fiasco.
 #1378116  by johnpbarlow

CPSmith wrote:I'm still editing photos, but here's a head start:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/archivethu ... ?id=115216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Terrific photos! Brings back a lot of fond memories!

Re: the pictures of the manifest departing westward from Manchester Yard, I'm guessing the string of empty 2-bay B&O/C&O hoppers behind the locomotives came from the then Milliken power plant on Cayuga Lake and will be dropped a few miles further west at P&L Junction at Caledonia for interchange with the B&O. Shortly before C-day I recall seeing cuts of these hoppers at Caledonia (a very interesting place with 5 active RRs up until April 1, 1976: EL, PC, B&O, LV, and G&W).

Keep 'em coming!