Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Valley Passenger Resurrection?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1362022  by jp1822

Jeff Smith wrote:ADMIN NOTE: jp: judgement call. I agree it may make sense for Amtrak, It could also end up NJT. But there's no hint of who (whom? :wink: ) would run it yet. That's why I split the topic. So for now, I'm putting discussion of resurrection in the Fallen Flag forum as I'm pretty sure it was an LV service (and considering the LV live source). That was what my historical research led me to. I'll certainly move it back when a good idea of an operator becomes clear. And that's a big if as there are so many other "resurrections" further along with operators identified and just waiting for funding.

The Amtrak thread I just wanted to dedicate to the inspection train as that would definitely be an Amtrak op, and rare mileage. If they want to raise some funds, they should sell excursion tickets to it as well!

I generally hate split topics, but sometimes I'll do it to focus discussion. It was a few posts I moved, too. Certainly, no criticism implied.

Hope you don't mind.

-Jeff
OK!

EDIT - just please do not put it in the NJT thread (if at all) until the inspection train runs and there's some inkling of feedback on the inspection train. It seems as though Amtrak has taken the lead. NJT and SEPTA have NOT been able to reach an agreement on this type of rail service; and NJT can not figure out how to operate good express service, which will be absolute key in any service to the Lehigh Valley.
 #1362024  by jp1822

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I noted same at the parallel Amtrak Forum topic; are we about to start another Lackawanna Cutoff "epic" as at the NJTransit Forum?
If it goes to the NJT forum - an epic novel will be written. If we have learned ANYTHING from the Lackawanna Cutoff project - to get it to Scranton - it's going to have to involve service that can go across state lines. And the only agency that has been able to do this from start up mode in recent years is Amtrak. The NJT/Metro North relation to say Port Jervis has a LONG history of joint operation. Starting a new standard rail operation in NJ under NJT (on new territory) has not been done in years - last that I can think of is Atlantic City Line. I am not going to include the ACES train or Mid-Town Direct etc. - as this is "connector" track service.
 #1385150  by Jeff Smith

http://www.mcall.com/business/mc-allent ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Allentown train ride to New York derailed

As of now, those partners aren't so enthusiastic about the trip.

Becky Bradley, executive director of the Lehigh Valley Planning Commission, is a rail advocate committed to growing a transportation system that includes more than just paved roads.

But in recent weeks she learned that a great deal of planning and expense would have to go into even an excursion trip. And such a trip is generally not made until after a region has studied the costs, determined how to do it and committed to making regular passenger routes happen.

None of that has happened, Bradley said.

The Planning Commission might soon study the matter, but even if it determines the cost is warranted — and that's a big if — it would likely take at least a decade to accumulate the money and set up the system.

In other words, a one-time trip now would be putting the caboose before the engine.
 #1400262  by SemperFidelis

The Morning Call of Allentown, Pennsylvania has run another piece in which NS issues a definitive "No!" to plans for running commuter rail over the Lehigh Line.

http://touch.mcall.com/#section/2823/ar ... -91055552/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This should come as no surprise to anyone who understands NS and railroading in the region. I suppose there is always the old CNJ route through Freemansburg to Bethlehem, but I think at least part of that is a trail.