Railroad Forums 

• LV Service at Weedsport, NY (1950)

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1351282  by msorendo53

Folks; have several questions pertaining to the LV in Weedsport before that section was abandoned:
in the Herb Trice photo of Weedsport depot, what is the industry just to the north of the depot on the same side of the track? Is it a coaling station?
what other industries were serviced by the LV in Weedsport? between Auburn and Weedsport?

I appreciate your time and help, thanks.

Mike
 #1352042  by BR&P

Mike, sorry to be vague here but I'm working from memory. There was an issue of Flags Diamonds and Statues by the Anthracite RRs Historical Society which focused on LV in Auburn. I don't recall whether it talked about traffic north to Weedsport or not. And to be even more useless I don't have a date for the issue except to say maybe 20 years ago. Still, depending on how much info you have already on the line, it may help to see if you can find that volume.
 #1352062  by msorendo53

Thanks for your reply! Upon further research, I found that the facility beyond the depot in the Trice photo was a Dairyman's League milk station that burned in 1930. I'm also wondering if any LV track plans exist for the Weedsport area. It seems there were quite a few industries in weedsport that could have done business with LV, according to the information I've found. What about interchange with NYC?
I appreciate your consideration, Thanks!
Mike
 #1352511  by msorendo53

Folks; the reference to track plans in my last post was about any track diagrams that exist for Weedsport LV, including sidings. Years ago, Mr. Trice shared copies of track diagrams when we met, but for the life of me, I cannot find them. I've seen mentioned that there was an engine facility and turntable there, but I don't recall them in the diagrams i had. Your consideration is much appreciated, thanks!
Mike

p. s. Just wondered how accurate the Cayuga Modelers layout is in Auburn. Would like to visit next time I'm in syracuse. Thanks again!
 #1353794  by lvrr325

I have a couple of old plans mainly showing the NYC interchange, which was so far as I know the primary reason for the branch to last as long as it did, although when the Thruway was built an overpass was constructed to allow the LV to continue towards Cato.
 #1354040  by msorendo53

Thanks for your response! From my research, it seems as though the only industry with a dedicated siding in Weedsport was Chas. Cusik tobacco, and possibly the milk station just north of the depot. It seems as there were two industries on the engine service siding as well, but not sure of their business. Also mentioned was a coal business somewhere close to the depot, but no diagrams to be found. I'm supposing that any business to and from Weedsport was handled as LCL shipments to the depot. I figured that coal transfer with NYC was the main business, along with the interchange with West Shore to the southeast of town (East Street).
Thanks, again. Let me know if I'm on the right "track".
Mike
 #1355498  by msorendo53

Does anyone have the dimensions, or a good estimation, of the LV depot at Weedsport? It looks similar to Cato and several others, but it seems as though all of the SCRR depots were slightly different. I appreciate your help!
Mike
 #1355993  by lvrr325

There's a good photo of it in one of the LV books, I think Facilities In Color V2 (V3?), although taken in 1973, some years after the track came out. You can probably figure the length by counting the board and batten if nothing else.

Worth noting that to this day there's a tin quonset hut type of structure just north of the depot site which has one flat side, pretty obviously to clear the right of way.
 #1356066  by msorendo53

Thanks, that's pretty much what I did and estimate that the depot is 24' wide by 58' long (not including the trackside loading platform). the older picture from Herb Trice shows the south end very well, that's what I'm basing my plans on.
thanks, again.
Mike
 #1359972  by msorendo53

I happened to discover these after unpacking from a recent move. they may be of interest. Herb Trice shared these with me quite a while ago as as well as some other photos I haven't seen published. I am modeling Auburn to Weedsport, thus the inquiries. Not sure of the date of the schematic, but it is the most accurate that I've found, although there is not a turntable as pictured in another reference map.

High Bridge L361A between Auburn and Weedsport. Searched for it, but never found. Evidently, a source for some local hijinx!
High Bridge L361A.jpg
High Bridge L361A.jpg (352.2 KiB) Viewed 27400 times
Note: have decided to include train order board on my model, although not sure if Weedsport was a block station. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your consideration!

Mike
 #1360018  by TB Diamond

Lehigh Valley Railroad ETT No. 1 in effect 2:01 A.M. Sunday, April 26, 1953 shows Weedsport as a block station.