Railroad Forums 

• Water tank at Geneva Jct

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1281190  by OvidPete

I have several photos of a Rose Hill two room school class outing at Geneva Lake State Park. These photos were taken during the late 1920s or early 1930s. In the back ground of several photos is the bridge of the LV mainline over the Seneca Canal. To the left of the bridge is a water tank, then the interlocking tower of the junction and finally the signal bridge over the tracks. The background structures are small but clear. The tank appears to be about half way between the bridge and the interlocking tower. Does anyone have any info on this tank, did it serve the main line, the Ithaca branch or both; what side of the tracks was it on; when was it removed; are there any footers remaining?
 #1281203  by BR&P

Interesting! I never noticed any footers, but that does not mean they are not there. Obviously early spring would be a far more likely time of year to spot them than now.
 #1281230  by lvrr325

If you can scan one and post it it may help. So far as I know the tower's concrete foundation is still there, at least it was there some 20 years ago and there's been no real change there in that time.
 #1281252  by charlie6017

That's definitely very interesting. It would make sense if this tank was situated in a place where it would serve both the
line to Ithaca and the freight bypass.

Charlie
 #1281366  by OvidPete

I will try to upload a scanned photo. If this works the bridge is faint behind the third and forth trees from the right. The water tank is to the left of the tenth tree and the tower between the heads of the two children in the foreground. If anyone wants these photos just email me and I will accomodate

Pete
Attachments:
geneva jct a11.jpg
geneva jct a11.jpg (84.15 KiB) Viewed 8160 times
 #1325381  by OvidPete

I found this photo of Seneca Lake Outlet with the watertank and windmill on the left. Thought this might be interesting
Attachments:
seneca_lake_outlet_200.jpg
seneca_lake_outlet_200.jpg (139.68 KiB) Viewed 7582 times
 #1325633  by BR&P

Wow, great catch - what's the odds of finding that second card and having it show the tank?
 #1333780  by OvidPete

Thanks for the link. Looks like the water tank served the Ithaca branch. It was located about where Rt 96A crosses the Seneca canal so the footers are probably gone. Wonder who bought the photos. Would love to get a scanned image of the photos.