Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Valley wood chip hoppers

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1257088  by Richard1

Looking for information and/or photos of the LV's 43000 series wood chip hoppers. The information I have states the cars were converted
from the 41000 series in 1960. The ORER's reflect revenue service from 1961 through 1963.
 #1258018  by Richard1

I found out this series of hoppers (43000-43029) were modified at the Sayre car shops in 1960, with sides built up by about two feet in order to increase their capacity. Originally built in 1929 by Bethlehem Steel, these 40-foot cars originally in the 41000 series were used on the LV’s State Line & Sullivan Branch (Towanda-Dushore) and hauled wood chips that were processed at an on-line operation at New Albany, Pa. They were kept busy for at least a couple of years; they were frequently seen in nearly every consist when the local freight that served the branch came through Towanda. The branch train would generally come through from Sayre late in the afternoon, returning from New Albany and Dushore late in the evening. Switch engine #118 was assigned to this run for many years. Hurricane Agnes did a number on the branch in 1972, and that was the end of it.
 #1258033  by BR&P

If I recall, New Albany was where a couple boxcars were stranded by the storm damage and never removed - one was NP I think and I can't recall the other. Last I knew they were still there.

You mention #118 as the assigned power for many years. What caboose was assigned to that run?
 #1258040  by lvrr325

Both NP cars at New Albany. Got moved at least once with a tractor. Agnes twisted a bridge, I don't know what other damage was done, but that alone was enough.