Railroad Forums 

• LV Turntable At Camden, NY

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1237383  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Was browsing some old maps and came across what looks to be a Lehigh Valley turntable and engine house at Camden, NY. Anyone have any information or know of any pictures that exist? I've read both the Marcham book on the E, C & N branch and Taibi's Sylvan Beach book, but don't recall seeing any photogrpahs of the turntable at Camden? Also wondering if it survived the 1938 abandonment of the Lehigh and was possibly used by the NYC?

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/ ... /New+York/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1237445  by charlie6017

I just thumbed through my copy of "The Gangly Country Cousin", hoping to find something
in there, but no dice. I'm sure there is something, somewhere, but a photo of that would
be totally rare.

Charlie
 #1237584  by TB Diamond

Photo of the station on page 9 of MR CORNELL'S RAILROAD & HOW IT GREW Camden to Elmira by John Connell but nothing on the turntable or engine house.
 #1237662  by lvrr325

Sanborn Insurance maps might be the only readily available source for data, if any exist.

Because the LV abandoned this line so early (1938) it's not likely to be in the val maps that exist. I don't even remember anything on it in the files I picked up that cover some of the abandonment on this line.
 #1237765  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Thanks guys. I figured there would be little if any existing information on the turntable or engine house, but though I'd give it a shot. I thought that maybe the NYC could have used it after the Lehigh's abandonment, but that's only speculation. Guess I'll keep looking and if I find any info or pics, I'll be sure to post. Thanks again-81
 #1238253  by lvrr325

Not sure the NYC would have needed it. Camden was on a through route until into the diesel era, I believe.