Railroad Forums 

• LV Diesel roster, according to the LV.

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1194068  by scottychaos

Does anyone have, or has anyone ever seen, an LV diesel roster actually compiled by the LV itself?
Modern rosters wont do in this case..even rosters in books wont do, if the book was printed after 1976.

Im trying to find out if the LV officially referred to locomotives 120 - 130 as SW900, or SW900M units.
(they began as NW1's)
Both SW900 and SW900M can be found all over the internet, so im looking for the source! ;)
the railroad itself..

It might also be that some were officially called SW900's, while others were officially SW900M's, depending on when they were rebuilt.
I have read that some received new builders numbers from EMD, and some didn't, depending on the date of the rebuild.
So it might not be consistent across all eleven units..

In an uncertain area such as that, I would consider the Railroad's nomenclature to be the official, and final, word..
if we can find out what that was..

thanks,
Scot
 #1194108  by RedbirdR33

scottychaos wrote:Does anyone have, or has anyone ever seen, an LV diesel roster actually compiled by the LV itself?
Modern rosters wont do in this case..even rosters in books wont do, if the book was printed after 1976.

Im trying to find out if the LV officially referred to locomotives 120 - 130 as SW900, or SW900M units.
(they began as NW1's)
Both SW900 and SW900M can be found all over the internet, so im looking for the source! ;)
the railroad itself..

It might also be that some were officially called SW900's, while others were officially SW900M's, depending on when they were rebuilt.
I have read that some received new builders numbers from EMD, and some didn't, depending on the date of the rebuild.

In an uncertain area such as that, I would consider the Railroad's nomenclature to be the official, and final, word..

thanks,
Scot
Scot: I referred to Lehigh Valley Employee Timetable No 10 effective August 10, 1975. There is a listed for a Class ES9 Engine. The "E" stands for Electro-Motive Division, the "S" for switcher and the "9" for 900HP. I hope this is what you were looking for.

Larry, RedbirdR33
 #1194130  by scottychaos

RedbirdR33 wrote:
scottychaos wrote:Does anyone have, or has anyone ever seen, an LV diesel roster actually compiled by the LV itself?

(they began as NW1's)
the railroad itself..

thanks,
Scot
Scot: I referred to Lehigh Valley Employee Timetable No 10 effective August 10, 1975. There is a listed for a Class ES9 Engine. The "E" stands for Electro-Motive Division, the "S" for switcher and the "9" for 900HP. I hope this is what you were looking for.

Larry, RedbirdR33
Thanks Larry,
thats good info! I wasnt sure of the class either..now we know its ES9.
but unfortunately no, that doesn't answer the original question of SW900 vs. SW900M.

thanks,
Scot
 #1194194  by RSD15

The first two rebuilt were LV128,129 into SW8 in late 1953. The rest were rebuilt into SW900m's from 1955-60.
I have four new build numbers and dates.
LV 121 build date 6/60 build number 25917
LV 123 6/58 24484
LV 125 8/57 23539
LV 130 5/57 23538

This info comes from,I believe, Extra 2200 south but I really don't remember where I got it from.
I hope the information is correct.
Charles
 #1194286  by scottychaos

Interestng! thanks Charles..
yep, I checked the Extra 220 South info (issues 76 and 77 from 1982) and they do say SW8 for numbers 128 and 129!
(and the rest being SW900M)

then I checked Mike Bednars roster in his "New York Division" book, and he says SW8M for 128 and 129.
(also with the rest being SW900M)

Im tempted to believe Mike..I think he would have access to the most reliable info..
(and it makes sense they would have the "M" designation, as opposed to being called actual SW8's, without the M)
We still dont have an *actual LV roster* as a source..there must be one out there somewhere!
But for now my favorite is:

128 and 129 being SW8M
120 - 127, and 130, being SW900M.

Conrail made it easier on themselves, and put all eleven LV units into the SW900 class.

Scot
 #1195192  by therudycometh

Based on all of my research, they were SW8M's and SW900M's. This came from Robert Haldeman's references to them, so that's about as good as I think we're going to get without having an actual roster.

Here's the roster info on them from the back of my book.

* Rebuilt by EMD in the 1950’s. These were not really rebuilds as much as they were entirely new locomotives reusing old
components. #120-130 were rebuilt from EMC NW1s.
 #1195303  by scottychaos

therudycometh wrote:Based on all of my research, they were SW8M's and SW900M's. This came from Robert Haldeman's references to them, so that's about as good as I think we're going to get without having an actual roster.

Here's the roster info on them from the back of my book.

* Rebuilt by EMD in the 1950’s. These were not really rebuilds as much as they were entirely new locomotives reusing old
components. #120-130 were rebuilt from EMC NW1s.
Thans Rudy! good stuff..looks like nearly everyone agrees then on SW8M and SW900M..
Who is Robert Haldeman? what are his credentials? and do you know what his sources might have been?
thanks,
Scot
 #1195345  by scottychaos

charlie6017 wrote:Scotty,

Robert Haldeman was the appointed bankruptcy trustee for the LV during it's final years.

Charlie
Interesting! thanks..I dont think I had heard of him before..
well than, thats pretty much an "official" LV roster then! ;)
Im sure he must have gotten his data from actual LV rosters and records..
ok then, im willing to say "case closed"! :)
thanks everyone!

Scot
 #1195559  by BR&P

Guess I didn't realize CR 8648 was a former LV unit. IIRC that was assigned to Rochester in the late 70's, sometimes used on the Subway job, and was less than a stellar performer.