Railroad Forums 

• Former Lehigh Valley Semaphore in Cortland Gone

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1111200  by NYSW3614

For more than thirty years after the Lehigh Valley folded into Conrail, a former Lehigh Valley semaphore has watched over the former Lehigh in Cortland, NY. On a trip back to the area I have noticed its now gone. It was formerly associated with the crossing with the Lackawanna Syracuse Branch and was located just south of South Pendelton Street. I have a picture of it back at home that shows it in service, with two blades. It wasn't that tall, and the blades had not been in place. Its right near the former Wickwire site that will be transformed into a team track facility on the NYS&W which may be associated with its demise with associated site prep work. I have someone saved it, it was a shame to note its removal.

The track right next to it, now part of an industrial line, is in pretty poor shape but perhaps with the team track facility work that will improve.

The SD45