Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Valley station in Geneva NY for sale

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1088844  by Bethlehem Jct.

I never stopped to think what was the largest on line station that the LV built, but I guess Geneva would be it. However, I think a strong argument can made that the former passenger stations in both Allentown and Wilkes-Barre were far more ornate.
Okay, I'm done nitpicking.
 #1089238  by Bethlehem Jct.

I thought of Buffalo too, but I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt in that that were referring to on line stations and not terminals. While Buffalo was the largest station, I still would argue that the Victorian era stations in Allentown and Wilkes-Barre were more ornate.
 #1089411  by RussNelson

That would be this station: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/108707281 . Interesting. $60K for a fifth interest in the building. So they're valuing it at $300,000. I wonder upon what basis they assign that value? Some other large building in Geneva? Another railroad station of similar vintage and size, say, Middletown O&W (pre-fire, of course). And while Geneva may be the site of the NYS Experimental Agriculture station, and Hobart and William Smith colleges, it's not exactly a boom-town.

#1089773  by lvrr325

$60,000 seems cheap for that building. When I was in it some 10-12 years ago, the floor in the waiting room had been repaired and was used as a workshop; we went all through most of it - some of the second floor was divided off and rented out as apartments.
 #1090570  by CPSD40-2

I was inside about 10 years ago, and it was in pretty good condition all things considered. The apartments upstairs weren't anything spectacular, and the same aforementioned workshop was set up on the first level. Some quick digging through public records shows it was owned by "Lehigh Station, Inc", and the business owner being the same gentleman that showed me around years back. However, in the parcel history, it shows there was a deed done in 2002 to a company called "Black River Royalties" which appears to be based in Wellsville, NY and involved in domestic oil exploration. Regardless of who owns it though, it is assessed for $80,000.