Railroad Forums 

• Reading Perkiomen Branch

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#59063  by AlexC

what?
this bridge?
;)
That picture was about 100 yards north. I shot both from the same spot.

The clearance is 8'9", but I can't believe it. I've got a Mini Cooper, and I swear I could touch it with the sunroof open!
 #59595  by jrevans

AlexC wrote:what?
this bridge?
;)
That picture was about 100 yards north. I shot both from the same spot.

The clearance is 8'9", but I can't believe it. I've got a Mini Cooper, and I swear I could touch it with the sunroof open!
That's the one. :-)

When I ride my motorcycle under there, I duck just in case....

Thanks for the great pictures!

JimE

#93830  by Pacobell73

AlexC wrote:Finally! Finally I caught a train on this branch!
What is the track speed on this line?

#95031  by AlexC

Pacobell73 wrote:
AlexC wrote:Finally! Finally I caught a train on this branch!
What is the track speed on this line?
It's not very high. 10 to 15, I would imagine. I was able to track it from East Greenville to Emmaus and back, and most of the time I would beat it to the next photo spot.
 #101227  by AlexC

Saw this on tristate-rr.
(Lehigh County, 2/16/05) Four cars on a Penn Eastern Railroad train derailed in Upper Milford Township; no injuries or spills were reported. Vera Cruz Road was temporarily closed.

I think this is between Zionsville and Dillinger Tunnel at this crossing.
 #197226  by jrevans

As seen in the morning call, it looks like some more of the Perkiomen branch is going to be made into a trail.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-2re ... 4241.story
County to review Red Hill open space plan

Borough can receive funding after proposal is approved.

By Jane Thompson-Smith
Special to The Morning Call

Red Hill's plans to develop more parks and recreational land are coming closer to fruition now that the borough has pinned down a date to present its open space plan to Montgomery County.

Once the plan is approved, Red Hill will be eligible to receive funding from the $59 million county open space program passed in a 1996 voter referendum.

The borough will present to the county on Jan. 24 its plan, which it has been working on since August 2004.

The county will pay 80 percent of the purchase price for the Hope Valley property, which is a portion of land owned by the Community Bible Church. The 3-acre parcel abuts the Red Hill Park across the street from Borough Hall and would be used to build new baseball and softball fields. The Valley Soccer Club practices in Red Hill Park.

Mayor Vic Attardo said he has been fighting for the acquisition because the borough has no recreational facilities east of Main Street. The land purchase also will prevent any future development at the site, he said.

In addition to the purchase of the church property, a key feature of the plan is the creation of walking trails that will connect with regional trails, said Van Rieker, a North Wales land planner who helped create Red Hill's open space plan.

The plan calls for trails running from Sixth Street and/or 11th Street in the borough to the Macoby Run trail in Upper Hanover Township.

Trails also could run by sidewalk down Sixth Street to the Green Lane Reservoir on the west side of the borough, Rieker said.

Red Hill has undertaken a Rails to Trails project to develop a trail along the old Perkiomen Railroad bed. The trail would run south to north through the borough.

The borough adopted an ordinance requiring land owners that are subdividing their properties near the railroad to consider the trail when doing so, Rieker said. The ordinance added easement requirements to its subdivision and land development ordinance specifically for the project.

The borough is asking land owners to dedicate recreational trail easements before building along the railroad, while developers are expected to construct a portion of the trail according to borough specifications.

Harlesysville-based TH Properties, which is building a large townhouse development on the outskirts of the borough near Pennsburg, has started building its portion of a 6-foot wide paved trail from Eighth to 11th Street for the Rails to Trails project.

#404327  by AlexC

Via Google Maps, I created a map of the Reading's Perkiomen Branch with the stations and some points of interest plotted.

Click Here

If you're a Google Earth user, it also allows you to download the KML file for use in Google Earth.

Here's a view of the "horseshoe" curve at Vera Cruz.

#404350  by PARailWiz

It's nice to finally see the Perkiomen line on a map. It finally makes clear to me how the junction between the Perkiomen Branch at Oaks with the PRR Schuylkill Division was set up.
 #404444  by jrevans

AlexC wrote:Via Google Maps, I created a map of the Reading's Perkiomen Branch with the stations and some points of interest plotted.

Click Here

If you're a Google Earth user, it also allows you to download the KML file for use in Google Earth.

Here's a view of the "horseshoe" curve at Vera Cruz.

Great Job, Alex! Neat to see the points of interest on the map.

Are you going to add more points in the future? If so, may I suggest the current end of service points on the line, so people know where the tracks are still present and active.

I guess that I need to learn how to make these maps myself. :)
 #449541  by jrevans

In case anyone hasn't heard, the Upper Perkiomen Valley Chamber of Commerce is running train excursions from Pennsburg to Emmaus (or at least through the tunnel) and back.

Trips are on October 6, 7, 13, 14 2007.

Here is the PDF with the info:
http://www.upvchamber.org/pdf/train_flyer.pdf

They've also added a fancy/expensive preview train on the Friday (October 5, 2007) before the excursions:
http://www.upvchamber.org/pdf/TrainBrochure.pdf

I'm riding the first excursion at 8am on the 6th if anyone is interested in meeting up.

#452061  by Pacobell73

AlexC wrote:or the Phoenixville & West Chester (now the sort-of-abandoned, Devault line). That line comes off the lower end of the Perk, over to Montclair, across the viaduct, through Phoenixville down to Devault. It used to go to Fraser... but that was cut back lonnnnng ago.
Alec, I would be more than happy to assist you with photos and research of the Devault line (now officially named the Phoenixville Industrial Track. I live in Phoenixville right off of Pothouse Road, which was recently resurfaced over the tracks. Thanx!
Last edited by Pacobell73 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#452407  by Schuylkill Valley

"" AlexC wrote:
or the Phoenixville & West Chester (now the sort-of-abandoned, Devault line). That line comes off the lower end of the Perk, over to Montclair, across the viaduct, through Phoenixville down to Devault. It used to go to Fraser... but that was cut back lonnnnng ago. ""

Hey Alex. I would like to help out with that too. I'm an local historian of the PRR. I've lived in the area for 30 = years. I went to the vo - tech school in Phoenixville, The track runs behined the school, I saw alot of trains my four years going there. Every day at 12 noon. the conrail switcher would come through , with a train load of tank cars.
I even chased the line once and got the conrail crew on video. if I could ever come across that tape. lol.

The line was chartered as the Phoenixville & West Chester valley line, in 1882, It was merged into the PRR in 1884 to build the Schuylkill Valley Line. There was an spur line built off the P&WC line at Devalt to connect with the Reading's branch of the Chester Valley line.

At fraser the passengers would reboard the train that would go into West Chester.

On the Phoenixville side of this line between Pottshouse Rd. and the old West Company , there was an spur line that went to the Cement plant off Rt. 23. The Reading's Pickering branch also serviced this plant.

The PRR. had a wye track off the P & WC line to it's Schuylkill Valley line.
Almost all that row is in tacted.

Len.
 #453103  by RDGFan40

jrevans wrote:In case anyone hasn't heard, the Upper Perkiomen Valley Chamber of Commerce is running train excursions from Pennsburg to Emmaus (or at least through the tunnel) and back.

Trips are on October 6, 7, 13, 14 2007.

Here is the PDF with the info:
http://www.upvchamber.org/pdf/train_flyer.pdf

They've also added a fancy/expensive preview train on the Friday (October 5, 2007) before the excursions:
http://www.upvchamber.org/pdf/TrainBrochure.pdf

I'm riding the first excursion at 8am on the 6th if anyone is interested in meeting up.
ANY SCANNER FREQUENCY INFORMATION FOR THIS RUN??? Thanks.

#456625  by AlexC

I think interest in the line has been spurred on by the excursions.

I got this email the other day.
An elderly neighbor told me that she remembered the original owner of my house (built in 1925 - the owner moved out in 1962). His name was Schaeffer, and she said that he was the telegrapher at the Oaks train station. Where do you think I could find out who worked at the train station on any date from, say, 1925 to 1940? I'd appreciate any help you could give.
Stuff like that would be in the Hagley Library right?

#456644  by Schuylkill Valley

Alex C.
You could also try the Oaks Historical Socitey or Phoenixville. I'll look in my Reading Company papers work too. I have alot of stuff. Five filing cabnets full.

Len.