Railroad Forums 

• Reading ETT Abbreviation

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#913628  by R,N, Nelson

From 1935 to 1942, the B&O had a “hot shot” LCL train between New York and Pittsburgh (Trains 117/118).

In the Reading ETT, “Preferred Freight” section, it is listed as: “B&O 117 Uni. Ex.” The train both ways had a Reading passenger engine between Jersey City and Philadelphia and did no switching while on the Reading.

Anybody have any idea as to what “Uni. Ex.” stood for, in 1930’s railroad jargon? The train was not listed at all in the CNJ ETT and was a First Class train when on the B&O.

Norman
 #913797  by R,N, Nelson

I first thought so too.

But all of the trains listed on the preferred freight page are extras. And "unit" would fit in not abbreviated. So this thing is really driving me nuts. Makes no sense to me at this point although I suspect that the answer is simple and right before our noses.

The train ran daily except Sunday. The main difference between it and the other preferred freights was that it had a passenger engine and didn't switch on the Reading.

"Ex" may or may not be for "express".

Any other thoughts before I go completely batty? Has anyone seen this before?

Norman
 #913865  by JimBoylan

Could it be "Union Express"or "United States Express", one of the Fast Freight Lines from the 1800s? Was somebody's subsidiary soliciting the cargo for this interline train?
Names like Blue Ridge Despatch and Eastern States Despatch were used to describe through trains and services over the Alphabet Route via central Pennsylvania before ConRail finally killed the business, long after the railroads had taken over the Fast Freight Lines.
 #913881  by R,N, Nelson

Sure could be.

The consist had LCL only, all from freight forwarders, from New York, Elizabethport, NJ (CNJ), Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington and Cumberland, MD . Same thing in reverse from Pittsburgh with a no pickup at Philadelphia and a set off at Elizabethport.

This was the forerunner of B&O Time Saver Service in 1950 and I can't believe there is little written about it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Norman
 #914060  by scotty269

If it was a hotshot train, I assume you mean an express?

Uni. Exp. = Unit (type of train) Express
 #914160  by R,N, Nelson

Now that is a very good possibility for indeed it was an express and also a unit train. But I am wondering if in the1930s, they had the concert of unit trains?

I think we are getting closer.

N