Railroad Forums 

• ex-CNJ cab control cars

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#876420  by keyboardkat

I know that the 74-volt line was used for lighting all the cars on trains with those types of cars. The train I was talking about consisted mostly of air conditioned cars with axle-driven generators, demoted from long distance service either on the B&O or the Blue Comet or the Queen of the Valley. These cars had no need of the 74-volt line. It was only because there was a 1300-series cab car on the other end that a 74-volt line was necessary, as that car, alone, would have had no lights otherwise.

I'm curious about the 74-volt generators on diesels. Did they have separate small engines to power the 74-volt system? Was it pulled off the prime mover somehow? But if the latter, how did they keep the lighting power steady when engine RPMs naturally varied all over the place?
 #876440  by sjwhitney

The ex-B&O cars likely had an above-the-door 32V train lighting socket. Many long distance cars had these so that in the advent of a failure of the on-board generator equipment, an adjacent car could supply power. This line had a knife switch to cut it in or out and could easily be used to trainline the 74V to a cab car.

The 74V from a locomotive could easily be supplied by the auxilliary generator. Most had ample powewr to do this. However, the locomotive needed to be equipped with a passenger lighting socket to accomplish such.

I should have made note that in the days where locomotives were supplying DC power for head end lighting that I erred in saying it was 74V. In fact it was 32V that came from train lighting generators. The 32V equipment was a definite hold-over from the days of steam when locomotives typically used 32V DC for lighting. To this day, diesels carry on the tradition by using 32V headlight lamps (which they DON'T need to use). Passenger cars also used the 32V system through the end of steam (some roads like B&M had larger steam dynamos to power coaches) and was carried on through the diesel era until replaced by 120V AC power.
 #878289  by BGRMJames

With the engineer in the cab control car, I presume the fireman/head end brakeman/warm body stayed in the locomotive (while in CNJ service)? At least in the early days of diesels?

Up there on the Green Mountain, do you guys have someone in the locomotive while the engineer is operating the cab car?

I was thinking of the somewhat lower reliability of our ancient locomotives versus one in everyday, heavy service. While there are few issues that would be helped by an immediate responder, I guess it would depend on the individual locomotive.

James
 #878298  by ApproachMedium

Id imagine that the fireman had to stay in the locomotive to keep the steam generator going. The EL didnt have this problem with push pulls since they got the pullmans (comet 1s) with HEP
 #878309  by sjwhitney

No, we don't have anyone in the unit while cab car operating. While they MAY have had a fireman on board, he wasn't really needed in the unit as the cab cars had boiler blowdown controls in them.
 #878360  by faxman

in the 70's there was a fire in cab car. He had wiper control and brake valve
 #878426  by sjwhitney

He must have not enjoyed the ride too much as there was only a small fold-out toad stool seat similar to RDC cars on that side in the 1300's, if I recall correctly (due to still usung that side of the vestibule for passenger loading/unloading).
 #879473  by keyboardkat

sjwhitney wrote:The ORIGINAL train lighting was via 74V power supplied by the GP-7's and RS-3's with train lighting generators. However, in later years this was changed to 120V lighting as supplied by the more modern passenger units. The original lighting power passed through the sockets above each doorway as was traditional. However, the 120V power required that a second trainline be added below the cars. The overhead line was retained for supplying 74V power to the cabs for locomotive control, radio and equipment lights. The headlights were wired to the 120V power. This method of control we still use today except that with short trains and more modern radio I can get ample power through the MU line instead of needing to have a locomotive equipped with a 74V power socket.
Isn't modern HEP, both for Amtrak and NJT, 480v.a.c.? Up in Canada, GO Transit uses 575v.a.c. HEP.
 #879496  by oknazevad

No to be a nattering nabob of negativity, but what does this have to do with NJT? Seems more appropriate for the CNJ related threads at the Anthracite roads forum.
 #882377  by Otto Vondrak

oknazevad wrote:No to be a nattering nabob of negativity, but what does this have to do with NJT? Seems more appropriate for the CNJ related threads at the Anthracite roads forum.
My original question asked if any of these cars made it to NJT service, and we kinda went from there.

-otto-