Railroad Forums 

• RDG "Bee Line Service" only on 6-axle units?

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#813135  by Franklin Gowen

Just a coincidence, I think. While yours is an amusing notion, I think the plan was far more likely to have worked out that way because by that time in the Reading's life, the preferred high-horsepower locomotives intended for such expedited service all had a C-C wheel arrangement. Perhaps some of the fine folks from The Reading Modeler could offer more insight.
 #813297  by Rick Abramson

Franklin:

What you posted certainly makes sense. What is also interesting is the first delivery of the C-630s did not carry the slogan, while the second delivery did.
 #813313  by Franklin Gowen

I have to admit that I don't have a complete chronology of Bee Line Service. One conjecture is that the first group was already on the property before the service was conceived of and implemented. Does anyone else here know for sure?
 #813393  by Rick Abramson

I checked Dale Woodland's book on RDG diesels, Vol-2; he just states that the first order was delivered w/o the slogan. No explanation.
 #814433  by Rick Abramson

Its my understanding that Bee Line Service was a dedicated service for specific customers for faster pick up and delivery of cars.
 #814713  by Franklin Gowen

Yes, correct.
 #814741  by Rick Abramson

Franklin:

"Shifting" gears for a moment. I am curious as to what your opinion is of the green on the P2K RDG GP30s;to me, it appears too much of a leafy green. I have a pair of Oriental GP30s and the green seems a lot closer. I shot a lot of pix of the RDG in the late 60s and into the 70s and recall the green being a bit more "olive."

Thanks.
 #815163  by Franklin Gowen

Rick, I'm not a modeler, so I don't have any knowledge of color casts on different vendors' locomotives. Motive power's never been my bag, baby! (with apologies to Austin Powers :-D )

It wouldn't surprise me that not all vendors match their product to that of their competitors -- maybe on account of limited budgets, insufficient research, or just plain laziness. I really couldn't say for sure.
 #817120  by David Hutchinson

I was just looking through a Port Reading Tally Book from 1968-69 that showed quite a few "Bee Line" trains to Oliver Brick in Port Reading. No "marked" Bee Line power on any of these....mostly GP7s and GP35s. Trains were ten cars each loaded with cinders.