Railroad Forums 

• The Reading - Abrams through Philly

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#801967  by StephenJohnson

I have a question that is probably difficult to answer, but along with it I will provide my thought process used to identify the inquiry:

Why did the Reading build (or continue) their line from Abrams on the West side of the Schuylkill all of the way into Philadelphia? Why didn't they, alternatively, expand their grand passenger line (as the PRR did their Main Line) from Abrams, crossing the Schuylkill in Norristown, and thus following the current R6 on the East side of the Schuylkill? They would have just needed two additional tracks and more complex interlockings. In my opinion, if not built, this would have saved the railroad millions $.

1. There were few, if any passengers, that would provide commuter revenue along this portion of the line.*
2. There is little industry that profited the railroad on this side of the Schuylkill that could not also be accessed by the current R6 Line* (i.e. Manayunk's Venice Island).
3. There would be no need to dig a costly Flat Rock Tunnel.
4. The current R6 does (and used to tie in to) cross over the Reading line that accesses Reading's Port Richmond.
5. The Reading could still easily interchange with the B&O in multiple places.

* Except Bridgeport in both cases. Bridgeport had (and still does) passengers and industry. A spur from Abrams could have easily handled this.
 #802092  by Franklin Gowen

StephenJohnson wrote:I have a question that is probably difficult to answer, but along with it I will provide my thought process used to identify the inquiry:

Why did the Reading build (or continue) their line from Abrams on the West side of the Schuylkill all of the way into Philadelphia?
Hello, Stephen, and thanks for posing such an interesting question!

The Philadelphia & Reading RR remained on the south bank of the Schuylkill River because another railroad was already on the north bank: the Philadelphia, Germantown & Norristown RR. PG&N was a competitor, and operated as one until it finally gave in and was leased to the P&R in 1870.

Even if P&R leadership had embarked upon the course you propose after their takeover of the PG&N, it would have entailed operating hardship & inefficiency. I'll go into detail...

The P&R Main Line had been meticulously surveyed by Moncure Robinson, who intended the railroad to be a permanent success story and not just another flimsy fad of the moment. He surveyed an alignment such that the eastward journey from Pottsville to West Falls was downhill all the way. The sole helper district was the short but steep half of the Richmond Branch, from West Falls to just east of Nicetown Jct. (south of SEPTA's Wayne Jct. and Roberts Yard), which was a 0.9% grade eastbound. This allowed the railroad to concentrate helper engines in a single short area, instead of having a cheaper but less generous alignment that dictated helper use at multiple spots.

That excellent surveying turned out to be crucial to the railroad's survival in paying back the huge loans it racked up during construction. Since the line was almost literally a steel-wheeled conveyor belt of anthracite coming from the coal region, the economy of loaded coal cars going downhill to the east and only the empty coal cars having to go uphill back to the west was a major advantage. As our country was then experiencing its own Industrial Revolution, demand for anthracite was extremely high and anything that the P&R could do to avoid upsetting their #1 cash cow was well worth avoiding.

The Norristown Branch of the PG&N was constructed to no such standards. Ruling grades of 0.4% eastbound and 1.1% westbound made it unsuitable for long heavy drag freights, even with doubleheaded steam engines. Restrictive curvature was also a factor which further limited speeds. The P&R's Main line was superior in both respects.
Why didn't they, alternatively, expand their grand passenger line (as the PRR did their Main Line) from Abrams, crossing the Schuylkill in Norristown, and thus following the current R6 on the East side of the Schuylkill? They would have just needed two additional tracks and more complex interlockings. In my opinion, if not built, this would have saved the railroad millions $.

1. There were few, if any passengers, that would provide commuter revenue along this portion of the line.*
Passenger revenue was a minor concern to the P&R in its early days, and therefore grew only slowly. Movement of anthracite from mines to tidewater trumped all other considerations, no matter how interesting or socially praiseworthy or valuable over the long term. The company's debt load was too heavy to allow major deviation from that policy until decades after it opened the Main Line.

Just to show how many other goals had to be subordinated to that end, the main passenger station in Reading was built in 1838. Even then it was derided as inadequate and unpleasant, and that was for a facility which served the railroad's home city! Even more amazingly, it had to wait until 1874 before funds were allocated for its replacement!
2. There is little industry that profited the railroad on this side of the Schuylkill that could not also be accessed by the current R6 Line* (i.e. Manayunk's Venice Island).
* Except Bridgeport in both cases. Bridgeport had (and still does) passengers and industry. A spur from Abrams could have easily handled this.
Intermediate business concerning the haulage of small quantities of general freight was not a consideration in the railroad's early days. Anthracite haulage was nearly the only thing keeping the P&R solvent, so the lack of shippers along the south bank of the river from West Conshohocken to West Falls was a non-issue to management.

For example, between 1844 and 1856 the revenues earned from coal revenue soared by a factor of seven. It's not hyperbole...to the P&R, coal really was king. It would take passenger service quite a while to even fractionally approach such lofty heights.
3. There would be no need to dig a costly Flat Rock Tunnel.
But there would be need to dig signifigantly wider cuts deeper into the river valley along the Norristown Branch. The topography is such that, in the end, that may well have been more expensive than Flat Rock Tunnel. Add to that the necessity of a railroad bridge across the Schuylkill at Norristown, and much sooner than it was actually built (circa 1900-1905).

Consider also the ongoing expense of keeping a hypothetical north bank four-tracked ex-PG&N line free from damage owing to floods coming from the all-too-nearby river. In many places, the PG&N is much closer to river level than the P&R is on the other bank. Between Manayunk and Conshohocken, stormwater runoff from higher elevations can be a real problem.

Putting all the eggs in one geographic basket creates the risk that weather could negatively impact not only the passenger service up the Schuylkill valley, but the much more remunerative freight service as well. Ouch.
4. The current R6 does (and used to tie in to) cross over the Reading line that accesses Reading's Port Richmond.
Yes, the PG&N crossed above the P&R's Richmond Branch about 0.9 mile east of East Falls station. Due to the signifigant vertical difference between the two, a major interlocking between them would be a real pain in the neck to build and operate. The Bellvue Branch formerly connected them at the southeast corner (28th St. Jct.), but that was only a single-track line of limited utility. If the P&R Main Line didn't exist east of Bridgeport and the ex-PG&N was four-tracked instead, the predominant coal flow means that the interlocking would need to be in the northwest corner, demanding far more excavation and grading that the Bellvue Branch needed.
5. The Reading could still easily interchange with the B&O in multiple places.
They could still interchange elsewhere, yes, but not nearly as easily as they did at West Falls.

So where does this leave us?

After 1870, the Philadelphia & Reading RR enjoyed many of the operational advantages of a four-tracked railroad between Norristown and West Falls. Theirs simply had the slight irregularity of a river going down the middle of it. :wink: For the most part, passenger trains remained on the north bank and freight trains kept to the south bank. A wreck or a mishap on one route still left the other route unaffected and thus available as a by-pass until the mess was cleaned up. Most importantly, the P&R Main Line was superbly engineered for that traffic which kept the railroad alive in the 19th Century: anthracite loads headed eastbound.

There were hard limits as to why it was not possible for the P&R to build their own four-tracked railroad on the north bank of the Schuylkill before 1870. We see that there were also reasons why it was less than desirable for the P&R to do so after 1870. The argument in favor of such a major "what if?" is a fascinating conjecture, all the same.
 #802366  by Franklin Gowen

StephenJohnson wrote:I have never in my years of reading (and later posting) viewed such a thorough and educational response to a question.
Thank you, Stephen. It's very kind of you to say so. My passion for the history of the original P&R RR and the later Reading Company was helpful in finding the answers to the issues you brought up so creatively. Sometimes the greater benefit lies not in having possession of relevant books, magazines and old timetables, but the larger context in which the railroad existed. With that, finding supporting facts and figures is easier. Thanks again for the compliment.

The sort of information exchange that this thread represents is a large part of my enjoyment of this website. We're all here to help one another. :)
 #802374  by PARailWiz

StephenJohnson wrote:I have never in my years of reading (and later posting) viewed such a thorough and educational response to a question.
I second this.

As a follow-up question, do you happen to know how well the PRR Schuylkill Division was engineered as far as grades compared to the P&R, seeing as it parallel the PG&N and the P&R for long stretches? It was built higher than the PG&N and seems flatter as well, but I'm less familiar with its layout west of Norristown.
 #802481  by JimBoylan

Before the present Schuylkill River bridge at Norristown, the older bridge was at Bridgeport. PG&N trains could use it to also get to Chester Valley branch, at the expense of missing Norristown station.
The B&O connection was at Park Jct., near 30th St. & Pennsylvania Ave. on the East side of the Schuylkill River. (The PRR station on the West side is near 30th St. & Pennsylvania Blvd.)
 #802907  by delvyrails

Why did the Philadelphia & Reading stay on the west side of the river? The answer lies much farther south. A railroad bridge across the Schuylkill and railroad entrance to a point in Philadelphia already existed; so they bought it and avoided building a new one.

P&R bought and utilized the state-owned "Main Line of Public Works" railroad east from Belmont, including the crossing of the Schuylkill (Columbia Bridge) and the rail line running southeast and eastward from that bridge to near Broad and Vine Streets. It was surplus to the Pennsylvania Railroad after the latter built its own railroad from just east of present Ardmore station in order to avoid the Belmont inclined plane of the state's railroad. The PRR's newly built route led down to Market Street and over the bridge at that street into Philadelphia.

Later after finding the the Columbia Bridge route (later the "Subway" and Willow and Noble Streets line) inadequate for heavy coal traffic to port, the P&R had the means to build a new port (Port Richmond) and the line leading to it from West Falls, including the northerly bridge there.

Much later, the Baltimore and Ohio, building into Philadelphia en route to New York Bay, attached itself to the original P&R route at what later was called Park Junction. B&O could not afford extending farther with its own line; so it obtained control of P&R and Jersey Central for New York access.
 #813014  by RDG467

When was Pencoyd Steel constructed? That plant looked to be a fairly large source of traffic (inbound and outbound) on the west side of the Schuylkill.

There was also an issue about grade crossings in Manayunk- The PG&N originally crossed all those streets at grade and wasn't elevated until the early 1900's (I forget the exact dates...) Sending loaded coal trains on that route would've caused conniptions amongst the locals......
 #813133  by Franklin Gowen

RDG467 wrote:The PG&N originally crossed all those streets at grade and wasn't elevated until the early 1900's (I forget the exact dates...) Sending loaded coal trains on that route would've caused conniptions amongst the locals......
Agreed. The grade-crossing separation was done quite a bit later than you suggest - it was planned as a precursor to eventual electrification. At the time it was on the drawing-board, electrification was seen as possible but it was not yet a certainty.

While Wissahickon and Norristown had their share of headaches, Cresson St. in Manayunk had enough grade xings to be a major improvement priority for the city as well as the Reading. The westbound track through Manayunk was completely elevated and in (non-electric) revenue service by February 1930. I don't have an exact date when the eastbound track was elevated, but both were ready when full electrified service to Norristown opened in February 1933.
 #813246  by RDG467

That spurs my memory a bit more- there was a softcover book called 'Rails Thru Manayunk' that had a detailed set of pix of the elevation project. I think it came out in the late 90's......

I agree with your dates F. G.- the late 20's/early 30's is much more logical. I couldn't remember exactly when it happened, so I didn't want to knowingly put faulty info out there. I may have been thinking about the 9th Street Branch, which was one of the first to be elevated, IIRC.....