Railroad Forums 

• Reading and B&O trains on the CNJ

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#691317  by riffian

Did Reading freight and passenger crews run through from Philly to E/port and Jersey City? Were B&O passenger crews (train and engine) B&O, Reading or CNJ on the Philly to Jersey City portion? did the B&O operate any through freiights over the New York Short line to Jersey City? Thanks for any information.

Bill Root
 #691400  by BaltOhio

Let's see....how many questions are there here?

I'll try to simplify things: Reading-CNJ passenger and freight trains between JC and Philadelphia were operated with pooled crews and power, although my recollection is that Reading power predominated on the passenger runs. Revenue was prorated by some formula, probably something other than mileage, since the CNJ had greater terminal expenses.

B&O never operated "through" freights east of Philadelphia, if by that you mean power and crews. East of Philadelphia they were Reading or CNJ freights, depending on where they were, and operated by pooled RDG-CNJ crews and, in the steam era, power. In the diesel era, B&O power usually ran through, and by the 1960s the three roads were pooling power on the JC-Potomac Yard freights, but not western traffic. However, solid B&O freights, on schedules largely set by B&O, did run through -- particularly between JC and Potomac Yard.

Although the contract arrangements varied over the years, B&O passenger trains used B&O power (both steam and diesel) all the way through and, as far as I know, were also manned exclusively by B&O crews.
 #691619  by JimBoylan

Lenny Smolsky, when a new fireman on the Reading about 1954, remembers being on a Reading T-1 steam loco that backed from Erie Ave. engine house to East Side B & O Yard (or, at least, somewhere near 24the St. B & O passenger station) to hook up to a B & O freight train and take it through to Jersey City.
I had a Reading Company New York passenger train schedule from about 1962, when in addition to the Crusader and the Wall Street, there was still 1 "reverse commute" train with Jersey Central equipment and crews. The schedule had been marked by an employee to show on what dates one of the Reading trains would have Jersey Central crews, I guess for equalization purposes.
TAN: When the Aldene plan was started in 1967, the Lehigh Valley unions refused to demand that their members be allowed some of the passenger positions on the rerouted trains, based on the LV track mileage between Hunter and the junction near Cranford.
 #760301  by TREnecNYP

JimBoylan wrote:Lenny Smolsky, when a new fireman on the Reading about 1954, remembers being on a Reading T-1 steam loco that backed from Erie Ave.
RDG had T1's???

- A
 #760336  by Marty Feldner

TREnecNYP wrote:
JimBoylan wrote:Lenny Smolsky, when a new fireman on the Reading about 1954, remembers being on a Reading T-1 steam loco that backed from Erie Ave.
RDG had T1's???

- A
The Reading had READING 4-8-4 T-1's, not (as I interpret your question) PRR 4-4-4-4 T1's, or any others.
 #760510  by Ken W2KB

Marty Feldner wrote:
TREnecNYP wrote:
RDG had T1's???

- A
The Reading had READING 4-8-4 T-1's, not (as I interpret your question) PRR 4-4-4-4 T1's, or any others.
And here's a link to info: [url][http://www.steamlocomotive.com/northern/reading//url]