Railroad Forums 

• Rambles On The Reading 1959

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#673594  by Schuylkill Valley

Hi all,
I bought Five 8mm Films off Ebay last week, The one reel wasn't mark, When I played the film I was suprize to see it was film of the first Reading Iron Horse Ramble of Oct. 1959 . The film was taken by Blackhawk. Its only 5 mins. long and I posted it on youtube. heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2zjVfGt ... annel_page The only thing I added are a few location names.
Hope you enjoy,
Len.
 #673605  by JhnZ33

Last edited by JhnZ33 on Tue May 26, 2009 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #673653  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

That same footage appears in ''The Complete 2102" by Sunday river. I snaged a copy on e-bay a few years ago. The video must be 2.5 hours in length. Alot of material.
 #673674  by Schuylkill Valley

"Re: Rambles On The Reading 1959
by JhnZ33 on Thu May 21, 2009 1:03 am

Hey Len, it's too bad the film is fading to a red color and the transfer from film isn't all that great. I was watching those films on ebay (and it did mention one of the films was of the Rambles) but forgot about bidding. I just hope you don't get nailed for copyright infringement as ALL Blackhawk films are still under copyright. That's why I won't post any of the Blackhawk or Sunday River films I've acquired.

JP Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration
JhnZ33 "

Well I wrote a letter to Blackhawk Films, well to the company that is in charge of the films. They told me the there is no copyright. and that there are production companies already reproducing the films.

Also you surely aren't the one who should question any copyright, when you used sound of the T 1 in the Iron Horse Rambles DVD of F. E. Burkett's filming. The Audio tapes that Dave Trexler has are from Bud Swear who was an engineer for strasburg. He audio taped quite a few rambles.

"it's too bad the film is fading to a red color and the transfer from film isn't all that great."

If I was going to do a good transfer for sale, it would be a lot better. and the color would had been fixed. I have video / editing equipment, that you only dream of having. My one friend was into transferring film to video long before DVD's ever came out. and when he stop doing that and move on to something else I bought the equipment. I put the rambles up for people to see and have fun watching, not to sell it.

Len.
 #673702  by JhnZ33

Thanks for letting the rest of the world see the footage.

JP
Last edited by JhnZ33 on Tue May 26, 2009 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #673757  by Schuylkill Valley

JP.
I 've known Dave Trexler for 16 years, I know what he has in his sound recording. Him and I have gone rail fanning many many times. you did a very nice job with the ramble DVD, I bought a copy at the Bee Line Fest. for two reseasons. One because its Reading History, the other is because I have the slides that goses along with the film.
Will you be doing a DVD on the EBT ,WK&S, Ashland Coal Mine too?

Len.
 #673766  by JhnZ33

Last edited by JhnZ33 on Tue May 26, 2009 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #673806  by Schuylkill Valley

JP, "Strasburg in '61 and '66 with an operational #4 camelback (former Reading 1187)"
That would be neat to see the camel back operating on SRC, is this color film or black & white? I wasn't born yet when that was operatting, but my Brother saw it , We have 8mm film of it working there. but it was double exposed some how.
What will the price tag?
Len.
 #687210  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

A follow up volume 2 Rdg T-1 book is coming this fall on the Iron horse Rambles and beyond ,years from1959-2009. we are shooting for 96 pages soft cover color and B&W photos to retail in this economy for about 20 dollars, thanks.