Railroad Forums 

• "Latshaw" on 1948 Reading system map?

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#626639  by KillerB

I recently acquired a map of the Reading Company's system, in what is purported to be a period frame. I'm not terribly concerned whether it is, or is not an actual period frame. However, the map certainly looks to be authentic from the period and the wear on the frame would also appear to make it about 60 years old. Mostly, it will just look nice in my den/model railroad room.

However, I am fascinated by something I noticed on the Herndon line - a waypoint of some sort, just west of Dornsife, called Latshaw. This is a fairly uncommon name, though it seems to most often be a surname in Pennsylvania German and Swiss populations. Does anybody know this history of this location? Was it a tower, or a station, or something else?
 #628016  by glenonoko

Latshaw is listed in the Reading/P&R records as a station on the Herndon Branch going back to the 1870s, and it probably predates the P&R's acquisition of this branchline. However, there probably was never a depot or station agent there. More likely it was just a rough platform and signpost. Station guides for 1916 and 1942 list Latshaw as under the jurisdiction of the agent at Dornsife. The 1942 Guide says there were no freight shippers there, and not even a team track.