Railroad Forums 

• Looking for 1920s RDG Newtown schedules

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#576020  by dave-a

Is there a place to find old timetables -- meant for either passengers or, even better, trainmen? I'm looking for an early 1920's-era timetable for the Reading Phila-to-Newtown line. I'm mostly interested in the times and also meets if they are documented, and not so much the artwork. My understanding is that there were about 34 daily trains, including about 17 passenger trains, on that line in those days. Thanks very much.
 #577234  by Franklin Gowen

Dave, I'll check my timetable archive to see if I have what you need. I admit that the Newtown Branch isn't my primary focus in all things Reading, but I might have schedule info from that period.
 #578122  by dave-a

Thanks.

This line seems to have flown "under the radar" for most of its existence, and yet touches so intimately the rich history of the Phila. area. And it continues to live in controversy, at the epicenter of rail-to-trail and trail-to-rail (if you will) issues, energy, neighborhoods, ethnic and religious culture, "suburban sprawl" and historic preservation.
 #583540  by jfrey40535

Stop by the Bryn Athen Post Office during operating hours. They have some schedules from the 30's posted there. I only have passenger timetables from the 60's thru '83 which by then was just a skeleton service. You might try contacting the RCTHS to see if they have anything, or try the Hagley Library in Wilmington.
 #583963  by dave-a

jfrey40535 wrote:Stop by the Bryn Athen Post Office during operating hours. They have some schedules from the 30's posted there. I only have passenger timetables from the 60's thru '83 which by then was just a skeleton service. You might try contacting the RCTHS to see if they have anything, or try the Hagley Library in Wilmington.
I'm out here in Illinois, so I'm "geographically challenged." I'll try calling for information. Thanks for the leads!

Larry Eastwood has graciously sent me two passenger timetables from 1921-22. It would be great to locate an employee TT from any era. Thanks!
 #736481  by glennk419

Very interesting that even back in 1929, all of the train numbers were in the 800 series. Guess that makes it the original R8.
 #757682  by glennk419

TREnecNYP wrote:There is beginning to be more & more noise about re-activation.

- A
Many of us are familiar with the R8 website, Southampton Station committee and other grass routes efforts, Care to share more?