Railroad Forums 

• Cab Signals on the Reading?

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#501703  by amtrakhogger

I know the Bethlehem Branch had cab signals but only between Lansdale
and Jenkintown but I figured that the RDG would only have a handful
of engines equipped for such a small operation. Does anybody how much
of the locomotive fleet was equipped for cab signal operation (excluding
MU's and RDC's?)

#501805  by mitch kennedy

Hi! I spent a day researching this so here goes... Both Bert Pennypacker's Reading Power Pictorial and Diesel Era's article on the Rdg's AS16's make reference to the Bethlehem Branch being cab signal equipped and pix (older) of the psgr-equipped RS3's and AS16's show cab signal boxes on the running boards. Can't find any pix of psgr GP's and FM's with signal boxes though. A Rdg 1971 Summary of Equipment which mentions ANYTHING extra about power, including speed recorders, etc, show nothing, so I suspect the whole deal ended in the 60's sometime. Also a Rdg Div. ETT and Special Instructions book from 66 show zip, but you'd need a Philly Div ETT from the 50's to get a real answer... Anyone want to do some homework??? Also, Rdg system ETT's from 1970 and 71 adn CR Eastern Region ETT from 79 show NO cab signal territory in service. No references in the Rdg ETT to cab signal special instructions which would mention cut in and test procedures. The RDC's did have cab signals, at least some, as they operated in cab signal territory from the ramp from the LV main to the PC main at Hunter in Newark up to the CNJ psgr yard in Harrison, and in 75 they were working as you'd here their distinctive alarm as they "woke up" at this point. As to why the Bethlehem Branch and not the other, more densely trafficked lines, say Philly to Rdg, or to Bound Brook Jct, maybe they were also earlier on as you do see Rdg passenger power of the steam variety having cab signal boxes as well. Hope this gets the ball rolling!

#501919  by westernfalls

In 1922 the Interstate Commerce Commission ordered some 49 railroads to install an automatic train stop or train control system on a full passenger division. Some railroads were more enthused by the order than others. The Reading chose the Bethlehem Branch between Jenkintown and Bethlehem.
 #502305  by geep39

According to "Locomotive Diagrams of the Reading Company" a reprint of the locomotive diagram book, the following were equipped with cab signals:

RS-1b: 460-472
RS-1: 510-524
RS-2b: 560-563
RS-4b: 860-865

On the RS-3's (RDG class RS-1 and 1b) the cab signal box was on the long hood engineer's side, and the handrail curved into the long hood, rather than being attatched to the cab. On the FM's, they were probably tucked under the running board just above the main air reservoirs.

And, I SWEAR that I saw at least one GP-7 (RS-3b) that had an ATS shoe on the truck, but I can't prove it unless I see photos.
 #557154  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

Hold on,do not forget the FT's had cab signals (forward motion only)and the FP-7's and GP-7's 660-661 had cabsignals and the ATS shoes because of the Newark Bay bridge event in 58.(a N.J law)
 #557510  by JimBoylan

Another use for cab signals on Rdg. steam locos would be P-RSL service. The ex-PRR Camden & Atlantic line to Atlantic City had them, and also the NorthEast Corridor for Delair Bridge trains to Philadelphia.
 #584225  by RDG-LNE

According to Philadelphia Div. ETT No.1 page 208, the cab signals were in effect only between Jenkintown and Bethlehem. Locomtives without the cab signal apparatus were permitted to operate between Jenkintown and Ambler (6.5 miles), Jenkintown and Oreland (3.0 miles), Jenkintown and Glenside (1.1 miles), Hatfield and North Wales (4.7 miles) and Bethlehem Station and east end of Saucon Yard (3.4 miles). The following classes are listed as equipped: the EMU's, T-1, DF-1, RS-1, RS-1b, RS-2b, and RS-4b. Timetable number one was effective at 2.01 am on 25 April 1954.

Drew
 #584682  by limejuice

Was it a typical 4 aspect cab signal system, or something different? Any idea what the ADU's looked like?
 #584864  by JimBoylan

Based on the few I saw in the early 1970s:
MU cars and used RDCs probably had 4 aspects with colored lenses. Top was green, the 2nd from the top was half green and half yellow, next was yellow. The bottom was red, and sometimes a cutout stenciled "R" behind the outer lens. New RDCs built in 1963 had PRR style aspects, 5 lenses, but probably only 4 light bulbs.
The truck mounted "shoe" may have been for the Central Railroad Company of New Jersey's Newark Bay Bridge Automatic Train Stop. The cab signal pickup was more like a bar that ran from one side of the truck to the other, behind the pilot.
 #589599  by amtrakhogger

westernfalls wrote:
limejuice wrote:Was it a typical 4 aspect cab signal system, or something different? Any idea what the ADU's looked like?
Here's a nicely restored one:
http://rrsignal.com/railroad/signals/cab.htm
Did that ADU come out of an RDC?