Railroad Forums 

• Ex-RDG South Bethlehem Rail Service

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#500469  by jfrey40535

So I was passing through Bethlehem today and decided to poke around the old RDG ROW to see what's left.

NS did a good job removing just the track. The signal boxes, waysides and grade crossings are still intact (in fact the X-RR street signs with exemption are still in place). The city has placed several signs indicating the greenway is coming soon.

This was my first trip to Bethlehem, and based on the geography of the downtown, I think the city is being very shortsighted in converting the line (will it be permenant?). Since the line is paralleled by several small streets with parking along the tracks, my first thought is this would have made a nice light rail or interurban line, even for local service.

Apparantly the need for commuter service hasn't hit Bethlehem in the face yet. I assume the tracks north of the station were part of the LV and ran to Allentown. Wouldn't that have some practical use if a train to Philly did not? It certainly seems like PA is backwards when it comes to developing good rail transportation.

#500637  by CAR_FLOATER

Hey jfrey40535 -

I think you are "geographically confused"........I do believe you are talking about the old Reading ROW.....
The LV ROW is quite used by NS - there'll be no walking along that ROW without getting chased by the RR cops!

CF

#500642  by jfrey40535

Yes, I do mean the RDG. I saw the active tracks on the other side of Union Station, so I figured that was the ex-LV.

With the LV tracks being active, I'm still surprised NS doesn't have any interest in using the ex-RDG line for moving traffic to Lansdale.

#500734  by CAR_FLOATER

My bad, sorry I missed that......Yeah, it would be nice to see regional rail by way of Lansdale, but the tracks are ripped up thru Hellertown, and I doubt service will ever be restored, be it freight or commuter. Too bad.

CF

#500735  by jfrey40535

As a Philadelphian, I really didn't pay attention to the whole soap opera up there. I know the reasons for Conrail's decision to stop using the line, but I'm somewhat surprised that no one in the Lehigh Valley made any move to preserve the ROW for future service (or is that a condition of the Greenway?).

I am surprised NS had no interest in the line as in recent years we keep hearing the freight companies complain about increasing traffic on reduced track mileage. There really is no direct route to Allentown/Easton anymore from Philly. We lost the Perkiomen branch in the 70's, now the North Penn. Its too bad no one in this state has vision.

Re:

#566130  by Bethlehem Jct.

jfrey40535 wrote:Yes, I do mean the RDG. I saw the active tracks on the other side of Union Station, so I figured that was the ex-LV.

With the LV tracks being active, I'm still surprised NS doesn't have any interest in using the ex-RDG line for moving traffic to Lansdale.

Tearing up the line through the city in South Bethlehem makes sense. I recall the coal/coke traings rumbling through as a kid and they were a real problem with traffic. But where the politicians screwed up was allowing the line to be torn up past Saucon Yard into Hellertown, effectively severing the Bethlehem Branch from the city of Bethlehem. A new station for possible future passenger trains could have been established on former Steel land near the ex-LV tracks. Alas, this is unlikely to ever happen.

NS has no interest in the old Bethlehem Branch for the same reason that Conrail didn't: the grades are too steep. The Reading always prefered to move heavy ore trains from the Philly docks to Beth Steel via Reading and Allentown. If they used the Beth. Br., they could only fill the hoppers half-way. But, since freight rates are set by tonnage and miles, the Steel wanted them to use the shorter route. To keep the Reading "honest," they used to also have the Penn Central haul ore to Phillisburg, then transfer to the LV for delivery. But, once Conrail took over, they routed all ore trains over the longer route.

The Beth. Branch was not seen by Conrail as a practical through freight route. Even if NS thought differently, the expenditures required to rehabiltate the line are unlikely to ever be made back. Therefore, the line remains dormant.
 #585380  by RDG-LNE

Bethlehem Jct. wrote: NS has no interest in the old Bethlehem Branch for the same reason that Conrail didn't: the grades are too steep. The Reading always prefered to move heavy ore trains from the Philly docks to Beth Steel via Reading and Allentown. If they used the Beth. Br., they could only fill the hoppers half-way. But, since freight rates are set by tonnage and miles, the Steel wanted them to use the shorter route.
The hoppers would have been less than half filled regardless of a routing via the Bethlehem Branch, The Perkiomen Branch or the long way via Reading and the East Penn Branch. The ore weighs considerably more than coal does so the trucks and car frame max out with less ore. The practice was to load a small pile in each hopper bay over the trucks. Since this is LV forum, I'll leave it at that. Also, NS would have had no use for this line since Lansdale is CSX territory and Septa owns the right-of-way and has since early ConRail days. Hope this clears a few points up.

Drew
 #623944  by rwk

Now the ROW is cleared from Coopersburg to Hellertown, too for a trail. I think SEPTA, or East Penn Rwy. has no interest in operating any of the Lehigh and Northampton Counties portion. The proposed commuter service will end at Shelly, just below Coopersburg. All of the ex-RDG Beth Branch track in Lehigh and Northampton Counties will be gone except for what remains of the PB&NE wye and yard to access the intermodal terminal and other customers. That connects to the Lehigh Line at the east end of the old Steel property. From Bucks County line south, the track will remain. (Currently unused north of California Rd. north of Quakertown)