Railroad Forums 

• RDG Co. Bethlehem Branch

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#860729  by Bethlehem Jct.

There's really no reason to have kept the portion of the Bethlehem Branch that runs through the south side. Union Station is no longer a viable station location. To me, the big mistake is not tearing up the line through South Bethlehem and converting it to a green way. Rather, they screwed up by abandoning it beyond Sacuon Yard, which effectively severs the line north of Hellertown.

If they were to resume Philly passenger service, and would like a station along the Lehigh Line in case of future NY/NJ service, then one could be built just north of Northampton Heights (i.e, where the Steel's Basic Oxygen Furnace used to be). I realize that would require infrastructure improvements to allow passenger trains to move alongside of the freight switching, but it's a better alternative than running trains through the south side streets.
 #860848  by SemperFidelis

I halfway agree with the above assessment. The routing through the yard would have been viable had they kept at least that much intact.

Union Station is, indeed, a location that would not easily be returned to a rail facility. However, while the area around the old oxygen furnace would be more easily accessed by traffic from I-78, the western end of Bethlehem near Union Station has much better access to the populated areas north of the Hill-to-Hill Bridge and is also well connected to other areas by the short PA-378 expressway and its connection to US 22.

Travelling across town in Bethlehem isn't the easiest thing to do. One way or the other, I'd put money on not seeing Philly-Bethlehem rial service in my lifetime.
 #860892  by rwk

What year was that taken? It had to be the 70's, 1980, or first half of 1981 since RDC's are there. I wish East Penn would have bought a couple of RDC's for fun and run excursion trips. Or, some coaches (preferably open window even ex-LI commuter coaches with open window) and use one of their diesel locos. They could run trips to Perkasie or Telford and back. They did run to Perkasie in 2004 for a special event. Is East Penn at Qtown the same East Penn that runs the line from Emmaus-Pennsburg? There were a bunch of excursions run over that line in 1980's (1985, 1986,1987?) with RS3 diesel and coaches, BM&R in the early 90's, and East Penn with the Reading F's in October 2007 and 2009. Is East Penn excursion friendly? They also ran the Kutztown train ride for a while from the late 90's to 2006 or so. But the people in the pic look more "modern" than 70's or 1980, 81. Severed north of Hellertown? Now it's severed north of Bucks County! All the rails were removed in Lehigh and Northampton Counties. It seems to me that SEPTA doesn't give a rat's a.. about commuter rail service to the Lehigh Valley area. Even the Shelly service will take years before it happens, if it happens. At least the rails are still in that far.
 #862937  by MikeMusiowski

rwk wrote:What year was that taken? It had to be the 70's, 1980, or first half of 1981 since RDC's are there. I wish East Penn would have bought a couple of RDC's for fun and run excursion trips. Or, some coaches (preferably open window even ex-LI commuter coaches with open window) and use one of their diesel locos. They could run trips to Perkasie or Telford and back. They did run to Perkasie in 2004 for a special event. Is East Penn at Qtown the same East Penn that runs the line from Emmaus-Pennsburg? There were a bunch of excursions run over that line in 1980's (1985, 1986,1987?) with RS3 diesel and coaches, BM&R in the early 90's, and East Penn with the Reading F's in October 2007 and 2009. Is East Penn excursion friendly? They also ran the Kutztown train ride for a while from the late 90's to 2006 or so. But the people in the pic look more "modern" than 70's or 1980, 81. Severed north of Hellertown? Now it's severed north of Bucks County! All the rails were removed in Lehigh and Northampton Counties. It seems to me that SEPTA doesn't give a rat's a.. about commuter rail service to the Lehigh Valley area. Even the Shelly service will take years before it happens, if it happens. At least the rails are still in that far.

That pic is just a teaser I threw together just to promote rail traffic on the Bethlehem Branch. It's a shame that they don't put trains back in service, i'm currently on Acela Express now 4:00pm out of D.C. heading to New London and i'm loving every moment of it. We just blew through Trenton 10 minutes ago and from there i've only been on the train for 2 hours since D.C. In car time durring rush hour I would probably just be in Wilmington. The way I figure is people who don't need the train are the people who are in charge and they don't know how it could impact other peoples lives because it doesnt effect their own which is why they blow it off when the idea comes about. If I could trade train travel for car travel I would, it's so relaxing.

Another thing, I got my trainz simulator 2009 up and working, does anyone know how i can get to and access the Bethlehem Branch surveyor?
 #863878  by Pacobell73

In case anyone is curious, the four municipalities who are responsible for the Saucon Rail Trail are looking for donations to get their rail trail on the Bethlehem Branch off the ground. Please note the top of p. 2.

"The pace of trail development will hinge on the availability of funds. Unfortunately, the project does not lend itself to traditional sources of public funding because of the specifics of the lease. As a result, soliticiting donations and coordinating private fund raising are an important activity of the advisory committee."
http://www.lowersaucontownship.org/pdf/srtupdate.pdf

In short, SEPTA is begging and pleading for townships along all their dead lines to do the following:

1) Put in a trail - it is easier than running trains and getting cars off the road
2) Sign the SEPTA lease as quickly as possible (even if there is no trail plan in place) so SEPTA can put out bids to get the tracks out of there, and rid themselves of people begging them for train restoration
3) Rip up tracks as quickly as possible to make $$$ of the rails (puchased with our tax money) by selling them.
 #863997  by MikeMusiowski

Pacobell73 wrote:In case anyone is curious, the four municipalities who are responsible for the Saucon Rail Trail are looking for donations to get their rail trail on the Bethlehem Branch off the ground. Please note the top of p. 2.

"The pace of trail development will hinge on the availability of funds. Unfortunately, the project does not lend itself to traditional sources of public funding because of the specifics of the lease. As a result, soliticiting donations and coordinating private fund raising are an important activity of the advisory committee."
http://www.lowersaucontownship.org/pdf/srtupdate.pdf

In short, SEPTA is begging and pleading for townships along all their dead lines to do the following:

1) Put in a trail - it is easier than running trains and getting cars off the road
2) Sign the SEPTA lease as quickly as possible (even if there is no trail plan in place) so SEPTA can put out bids to get the tracks out of there, and rid themselves of people begging them for train restoration
3) Rip up tracks as quickly as possible to make $$$ of the rails (puchased with our tax money) by selling them.

Here's their facebook. i'm only liking it to bash it.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Saucon ... 9554997950
 #864011  by SemperFidelis

If one is to (correctly) reason that the rails were purchased with "our tax dollars", one has to allow that the sale of those rails will benefit the tax-subsidized organization who will profit from that sale.

I suppose there's no harm in asking people for donations, I just wouldn't expect too much...
 #864019  by MikeMusiowski

SemperFidelis wrote:If one is to (correctly) reason that the rails were purchased with "our tax dollars", one has to allow that the sale of those rails will benefit the tax-subsidized organization who will profit from that sale.

I suppose there's no harm in asking people for donations, I just wouldn't expect too much...

With this happening I honestly think it's lost. those people up there who are taking control and I’m sorry to down my generation but it's generation X. They only give a damn about themselves and their own personal interest. People are going to hear rail trail and the stereotypical thought will be "oh a park, nature, exercise, nice..." where as when they think train they think of danger dirty loud freight. Up there they don't have the benefit of passenger rail service so they don't know what they are missing so the majority in my opinion are going to support the trail. What else could we as a group do?
 #864080  by SemperFidelis

Without getting into things that are still rather bitter in my mind...

I made a pretty honest effort around 2004 or 2005 to save the line as far north as Coopersburg for shipping sand/stone, but was sabotaged by SEPTA. More recently, when this whole trail thing started being mentioned again, I made another effort (again for sand) but was again met by very strong resistance.

I think I posted somewhere earlier that I won't buy a home in Hellertown lest my taxes go to support the idiots in government there.

To be quite fair, the activities of my company might well have led to the validation of some of the "dirty frieght train" concerns. However, the local folks (outside of government) that I spoke to at the time were enthusiastic about seeing the railroad brought back to life, provided the trains weren't going to be blowing through town at 80 mph. I would have been happy for a safe 25 mph... I think most of the people I spoke to understood that any active railroad line would probably one day lead to a commuter railroad line.

The best hope for the line, prior to the rails being removed, would have been to resume sand shipments to Haines & Kibblehouse's plant and Rahn's Concrete Plant in Coopersburg, PA. H&K is a very pro-rail company which now owns 1 direct rail served sand pit and 1 indirectly served pit. H&K Coopersburg, back when we had an economy to speak of, was taking about 10-15 truck loads of sand a day (7 or so railcars) and the Rahn's plant was taking a similar amount.

C'est la vie. I'll just sit here and watch my railcars take the grand tour of Pennsylvania...
 #864338  by MikeMusiowski

SemperFidelis wrote:Without getting into things that are still rather bitter in my mind...

I made a pretty honest effort around 2004 or 2005 to save the line as far north as Coopersburg for shipping sand/stone, but was sabotaged by SEPTA. More recently, when this whole trail thing started being mentioned again, I made another effort (again for sand) but was again met by very strong resistance.

I think I posted somewhere earlier that I won't buy a home in Hellertown lest my taxes go to support the idiots in government there.

To be quite fair, the activities of my company might well have led to the validation of some of the "dirty frieght train" concerns. However, the local folks (outside of government) that I spoke to at the time were enthusiastic about seeing the railroad brought back to life, provided the trains weren't going to be blowing through town at 80 mph. I would have been happy for a safe 25 mph... I think most of the people I spoke to understood that any active railroad line would probably one day lead to a commuter railroad line.

The best hope for the line, prior to the rails being removed, would have been to resume sand shipments to Haines & Kibblehouse's plant and Rahn's Concrete Plant in Coopersburg, PA. H&K is a very pro-rail company which now owns 1 direct rail served sand pit and 1 indirectly served pit. H&K Coopersburg, back when we had an economy to speak of, was taking about 10-15 truck loads of sand a day (7 or so railcars) and the Rahn's plant was taking a similar amount.

C'est la vie. I'll just sit here and watch my railcars take the grand tour of Pennsylvania...

so i posted a message on their facebook asking common questions

If you don't mind please answering a few short questions for my personal education? I just want to hear your opinions out. Just to start off, How's this trail going to help the common person? the environment? traffic congestion on 309 during rush hour? dealing with raising gas prices? the overall economy? businesses at the towns and villages along the line? Please don't take these questions the wrong way, I simply just want to hear your opinions out if you don't mind.

Here is what they responded with.

Mike, thanks for the question. There are many answers to your questions, but overall, any Rail Trail has the ability to allow people an alternative transportation to use. This could assist people with getting exercise, aleve congestion on... busy streets by commuting, & boost business along RT corriders.

In the future, as the SRT progresses, I picture people riding bikes to the local farmers markets in both Coopersburg & Hellertown. This is a great quality of life scenario.

my responce:

I'm an avid sports man myself and run pretzel city sports races across our region whenever I get the chance and I can truly see your point in that matter. But what's your opinion on future rail restoration?

Right now just sweet talking them so I can hear how they truly feel. If I may get the help from you guys in correctly over rulling their opinions with the facts, i'd be grateful because i only know so much but you guys know a lot more and I just want them to hear our piece of mind and go for the kill. \m/ \m/
haha railroad politics :P
 #864371  by MikeMusiowski

MikeMusiowski wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:Without getting into things that are still rather bitter in my mind...

so i posted a message on their facebook asking common questions

If you don't mind please answering a few short questions for my personal education? I just want to hear your opinions out. Just to start off, How's this trail going to help the common person? the environment? traffic congestion on 309 during rush hour? dealing with raising gas prices? the overall economy? businesses at the towns and villages along the line? Please don't take these questions the wrong way, I simply just want to hear your opinions out if you don't mind.

Here is what they responded with.

Mike, thanks for the question. There are many answers to your questions, but overall, any Rail Trail has the ability to allow people an alternative transportation to use. This could assist people with getting exercise, aleve congestion on... busy streets by commuting, & boost business along RT corriders.

In the future, as the SRT progresses, I picture people riding bikes to the local farmers markets in both Coopersburg & Hellertown. This is a great quality of life scenario.

my responce:

I'm an avid sports man myself and run pretzel city sports races across our region whenever I get the chance and I can truly see your point in that matter. But what's your opinion on future rail restoration?

Right now just sweet talking them so I can hear how they truly feel. If I may get the help from you guys in correctly over rulling their opinions with the facts, i'd be grateful because i only know so much but you guys know a lot more and I just want them to hear our piece of mind and go for the kill. \m/ \m/
haha railroad politics :P

and their reply

The SRT has a unique situation, the rail line is a dual rail line. Septa has the right to put rail back in place at any time as part of the lease. With both of these pieces in place, should Septa decide to put a rail back in place, we can still have a Rail & Trail in place. This has been done in many places throughout the US successfully.
 #864378  by SemperFidelis

I've yet to see a rail-trail reduce congestion. Perhaps if downtown Bethlehem still had an operable steel mill, and the thousands of jobs associated, a few folks from Hellertown might prefer to bicycle to work.

Of course a rail trail is a legitimate facility for recreation and fitness, but anyone who honestly thinks SEPTA would consider a side-by-side operation with pedestrians is not in touch with reality. SEPTA has been debating whether to restore trolley service on lines out of service since 1992, has yet to restore service to a line whose right of way is mostly intact and has excellent potential (Newtown), and is continuing to debate whether or not to return service to Quakertown.

Sadly, I think this is a battle lost.
 #864415  by Trails to Rails

Pacobell73 wrote:In case anyone is curious, the four municipalities who are responsible for the Saucon Rail Trail are looking for donations to get their rail trail on the Bethlehem Branch off the ground.
Maybe a bunch of us should dress up as trainmen and go out on Halloween and solicit donations along Spring Valley Road...;)
 #864490  by SemperFidelis

Or, conversely, we could don stupid three pointed hats, strike up the Gasden Flag and campaign against the return of government funded rail service! That would be fun, too...if our collective IQs were much, much lower.