• Frackville track north of St Clair Yard question

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

by carajul

When did the RDG abandon and remove the track that went north from St Clair to Frackville? I think I read that the line got washed out and with the coal mines closing they just abandoned it. I looked at the historic arials from the 1930s-1960s and it was 4 tracks right thru the center of Frackville in a ditch. The city streets went over the tracks on bridges. Tons of coal hoppers parked everywhere.

Today you can still see the row - it's mostly a grass field thru the center of town. The streets are still elevated but the ditch is filled in. A lot of building on the row too and the I-81 interchange has obliterated it. Amazing to see the amount of rail infrastructure that was there at one time.
  by JimBoylan

In 1978, McHugh Bros. Heavy Hauling, Operator and Leasee of the New Hope & Ivyland RR, bought the cantilever crossing signals at the North end of St. Clair (4th St. & Wade Rd.?) from the Reading Co., so the tracks were abandoned by then, and hadn't been bought by ConRail in 1976.