Railroad Forums 

• Union Street Interlocking, Allentown,PA

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#1227774  by steve coraggio

Hello,

I am a Lehigh Valley fan and just posted a question about Union Street Interlocking in Allentown PA on the Lehigh VAlley forum. I am particularly interested in the exact location of this tower.
I was in Allentown today and did some exploring. Near Union Street and South 3rd Street is a large open area which at one time appeared to have railroad tracks there.
I also found two concrete bases and estimated that they were for some type of buildings, also some other concrete bases smaller than the two I mentioned here.
I photographed the concrete bases and the old double track trestle that is at Union St. & S/3rd St. Note homeless people have shelters at the trestle on both sides. I didn't encounter any homeless person today just use caution.

At the trestle I saw concrete bases that looked like they could have been used to hold something in place, had rebar coming out of them, also two hammers were on one small concrete block. Also a small one track bridge (out of service) in the park along Union St. across from the apartments. The one track bridge isn't safe to cross. metal fencing up but it looks like part of that fence ahs been moved and that bridge is used to cross the Jordan Creek there.
If anyone knows exactly where Union Street Interlocking was located please reply to me at Steve Coraggio,[email protected] Pictures will be posted on my Contributor Site at RR Picture Archives.Net. Thank You Steve Coraggio