Railroad Forums 

• CT-2 Resumes

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1283734  by MNR's #1 Conductor

FL9AC wrote:CT-2 is doing it differently lately with basically a two day round trip up the branch and back down. After northbound train does necessary switching at either Tilcon or Rings End in Bethel locos and usually an empty centerbeam or two tie down in Danbury on the Housy main until the next night when they head down the branch after 1876 (last train up before bustitution) get in to Danbury. This afternoon four locos sitting without cars...a B40-8 on each end bracketing two B30-7 b-units.
CT-2s power was laid up today on the Weedsatonic right next to the Danbury Railway Museum today about 8:50 am (0850), 2 4000 - series B40-8s, 2 B30-7 cabless B units sandwiched in between. And of course, stupid me didn't have my point and shoot right on my person, and my Galaxy S5 cell was powered off, both left on my equipment at Danbury Station (had to stroll to the Danbury register room to pick up today's new blanket M Forms for the Danbury/Bethel stop and warns).

Next time.......next time.......I shall be prepared!!
 #1284194  by runningwithscalpels

Weedsatonic! That is priceless.
 #1284378  by fl9m2004

Would ct2 still be running on Monday Wednesday Friday schedule still or is it different
I used to hear it around quarter to midnight but that was before 1894 was added
 #1284519  by fl9m2004

going to try to see CT2 tomorrow night at East Norwalk when would it head westbound
And when would CHFP head westbound
 #1284734  by fl9m2004

ct2 just flew by 20 cars 4003-3006-4004
when would it return down branch
 #1287549  by FL9AC

fl9m2004 wrote:ct2 just flew by 20 cars 4003-3006-4004
when would it return down branch
same night. CT-2 headed up the branch last night "Southern style" with a LHF B-Boat and B-unit on the north end and single B-Boat on the south end. They had one centerbeam for Ring's End along with the usual stone cars for Tilcon and afterwards requested use of link track to turn entire consist.
 #1288625  by fl9m2004

With the last trains being buses after rush hour would ct2 come up during 1888's time slot or still come up after 1899 heads down and before 1894 heads up branch
 #1538275  by DutchRailnut

not yet, cars at Tilcon in Danbury have not moved since the fall
 #1543744  by shepaug

I have been away from keeping up to rail freight in Connecticut. A sorry situation..right ??

Who in Danbury area still receives freight so sometime I might catch a picture when in the area.

I don't know what to say about the Housatonic but if they are broke ? Hate to see the lines vanish. A route without height/weight restrictions ? (I mostly mean major bridges, etc.)

P and W and the Danbury line.

I thought of some trivia. There was the Wilson Point line. I think abandonment will be listed long long ago BUT that line was there much longer. A decade or two ago still tracks almost to the ocean ? There were tracks right by the passenger station but I'd guess they ripped them up not long ago. (unsightly) The line went through an area of business/industrial but like allot of other places why did nobody use it ? Even a lumber yard. (right before the rt 136 bridge removed)

It sat there overgrown and a 'ravine' section filled with garbage. (peoples trash)

Remember the State Rail Plan's by the states ? I guess for federal government help. I wonder if older copies available anywhere ? One actually had the Wilson Point line as owned/preserved by the state. (like also the Watertown line) That vanished in later issues. I'd guess it was a 'who owns it' situation ? What about the Stratford Industrial line ? There was the New Haven, Penn Central, Conrail..and ??

I read recent that some organization there bought the ROW (Wilson Point) to get rid of the unsightly thing. I have to research paper records in the area if I ever get a chance. Who did own it ? The Stratford Industrial is actually owned by an insurance company. Funny feeling if there was any business who owns it ?? !!!!!