Railroad Forums 

• P&W ordered to clean up old ties

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1034109  by MEC407

From The Valley Breeze:
The Valley Breeze wrote:The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management is calling for the clean-up of discarded railroad ties along the Providence & Worcester tracks in northern Rhode Island.
Tracy D'Amadio Tyrrell, supervising environmental scientist, told the P&W the ties represent "solid waste" that must be disposed of within 60 days and cannot be buried or burned on the property.
The railroad company was dismissive, saying the company does not consider the ties as solid waste and "takes exception to this classification." Engineer Bernard Cartier said that any future ties will be moved as quickly as possible, but overall "no action is planned at this time."
Read more at: http://www.valleybreeze.com/2012/04/04/ ... lroad-ties
 #1037246  by KEN PATRICK

as one who faced this issue a few times, railroads should never discard ties on the row. I opine that the dep will now come back and classify the ties as Hazardous which will really up the disposal costs. creasote/oil etc reside in ties for years. PWRR is risking big money by not understanding that the row is not a hazardous waste dump. Think Conrail on the River line. I'm surprised that PWRR is taking this foolish stance. It's not wise to anger the dep. ken patrick
 #1040374  by trainsinmaine

IMHO, it's about time someone came down on a railroad for this practice. Guilford/PanAm has been dumping old ties along its rail lines for many years, and the B&M did it before that. Damned unsightly.
 #1069627  by BigLou80

trainsinmaine wrote:IMHO, it's about time someone came down on a railroad for this practice. Guilford/PanAm has been dumping old ties along its rail lines for many years, and the B&M did it before that. Damned unsightly.
I somehow doubt the rail road is concerned with impressing you or almost any one else for that matter with making the ROW more sightly. I would tell DEP to kiss my A$$

I think the DEP has no business classifying them as hazardous, as they have been on the ROW their entire life, a shift of 5 feet doesn't change anything they are not more or less hazardous with rail and plates on top of them.