Railroad Forums 

• P&W alliance with NECR - Great Eastern Route

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1017909  by MEC407

From MarketWatch:
MarketWatch wrote:The Providence and Worcester Railroad and the New England Central Railroad, part of the RailAmerica family, are pleased to announce the establishment of the Great Eastern Route, a new coordinated commercial and operating platform. This new strategic alliance is being developed to increase our collective business with both Canadian National and Canadian Pacific to rail customers in southern New England and to enhance their global access through our port facilities.

Over the past 5 years the NECR and P&W have jointly invested significant capital in the infrastructure along with the States of Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and the federal government. These investments enhance our service and combined with this new commercial and operating relationship will provide the basis for a greatly improved customer experience aimed at growing our collective business across all commodity lines.
Read more at: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-pr ... 2012-02-14
 #1018550  by mbhoward

I suppose the two of them were odd men out since PAR has close ties with NS. The only real advantages I see is the ability to pool resources and the tie for P&W to get better access to Montreal and another class I. I wonder what NECR really gets out of this? Is P&W network really worth the effort?
 #1018621  by Dick H

Regarding New Hampshire, I doubt that skinflint NH contributed any
funding toward the NECR trackwork in the Claremont/North Walpole
area. Since the majority of the work was paid by a federal grant,
perhaps each state had to provide some engineering and/or supervisory
work at crossings and the like and NH did show up, probably with their
hand out for reimbursement.

For the record, I live in NH. They never pay for anything they can find
someone else to pick up the tab for. NH has railbanked numerous rail
rights of way over the years, but mostly, if not all, with federal money.
 #1018751  by F-line to Dudley via Park

NECR signal work in NH was covered by the Vermonter grants with no help from the state. I think it's now 286K so the RR bridges are set. And there's only 5 overhead bridges in the state, all currently cleared for 1st-gen DS, that they'd have to evaluate for 2nd-gen DS when the time comes. If any actually need the work.

Feel-good PR / subversive "Thanks for nothing, New Hampshire"?