Railroad Forums 

• New Haven Belle Dock

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1291022  by Ridgefielder

bwparker1 wrote:
TomNelligan wrote:Yes, Connecticut Southern handles the through traffic between West Springfield and Cedar Hill, and the Conrail/CSX terminal operation in New Haven has been an isolated island for a couple decades now. I have to presume that CSX makes money off their Cedar Hill business since otherwise they (or Conrail before them) wouldn't have kept it when the Shore Line East freight was spun off to P&W. CSX serves the two surviving freight customers at Mamaroneck and Darien out of Oak Point, and runs no through freights between Oak Point and Cedar Hill. Customers in West Haven and thereabouts are handled by a Cedar Hill crew. P&W got the Belle Dock line from Conrail, ran down there before all the construction mess began, and will serve any future customers that appear in the harbor neighborhood.
Thank you Tom and boatsmate. Everything more or less makes sense now, although I guess I don't understand the building of this new branch to the dock by the City of New Haven, or was there an old spur before that was ripped out at some point? From Aerial imagery, there seems to be quite a bite of track down along there, and clearly all of the track is not new, but my contact sent me a photo of a brand new track that terminated at a gate fence, encased in a concrete crossing, which is high $$$$.
I think there's been track down to Belle Dock from basically the dawn of railroads in CT in the 1830's. IIRC the Belle was a Long Island Sound steamer on the New Haven - New York run before the Civil War
 #1291144  by CannaScrews

An abbreviated reply on the history of Belle Dock.

Starting on the East side of the Forbes Avenue bridge, originally, the spur went into the New Haven Terminal yard north of Forbes Ave.
The spur heading south served various wharves and terminated at the old coke plant (they gassified coal to turn it into coke (solid carbon)).

Here is an aerial view from 1949 which will give you an idea of how much business was there. The tracks ran on the Forbes Ave drawbridge at the time.

BTW Belle Dock was on the West side of the Quinnipiac River.
Belle Dock 1947 aerial N.jpg
Belle Dock 1947 aerial N.jpg (176.74 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
Belle Dock 1947 aerial S.jpg
Belle Dock 1947 aerial S.jpg (80.39 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
 #1294516  by ebtmikado

There was track building equipment on the Waterfront Street trackage this past week. I was on the highway bridge, and unable to see what work was being done.

Lee Carlson
 #1344473  by ebtmikado

There has been service down there since at least 2013, when I snapped photos.
Videos from last week to follow shortly.
Lee
 #1344654  by craven

What do those odd shaped CSX Rail cars hold? I've never seen anything like that.
 #1344656  by BobLI

The CSX cars carry coiled steel. The covers on the car protect the coils in transit from getting contaminated and rusting.
 #1344701  by MEC407

Excellent video! Very nice camera work and editing.
 #1373534  by johnpbarlow

On Saturday Feb 27, the GRWO had about dozen cars of steel billets and rebar interchanged fro Pan Am that were destined for the Gateway terminal at Port of New Haven. Any ide where this steel originates?
Attachments:
P&W GRWO Steel Billets for Gateway Port of New Have Gardner 022716 small.jpg
P&W GRWO Steel Billets for Gateway Port of New Have Gardner 022716 small.jpg (398.41 KiB) Viewed 6127 times
P&W GRWO passing under Union St Gardner 022716 2 small.jpg
P&W GRWO passing under Union St Gardner 022716 2 small.jpg (347.23 KiB) Viewed 6127 times
 #1373567  by YamaOfParadise

Actually, the April issue of Trains magazine has an article on the P&W, and it does mention quite a bit about different traffic:
Gondolas, carrying steel "billets" from several producers in the eastern U.S. and Canada, arrive on the P&W through various interchanges and make their way to Gateway Terminal in the Port of New Haven. Gateway is a deepwater marine terminal operator that stores and delivers the incoming lengths of steel to local finishers that produce rebar and steel rods. Some of those same gondolas leave New Haven with imported Asian steel that arrives there by water.
Not exactly a proper location of what producers particularly, but it gives you a good ballpark.