Railroad Forums 

• Providence & Worcester in CT

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#289163  by gearhead426

a few weeks ago, my dad took me to plainfield to see nr2 and nr3, and we chased nr2 to new london.
as a railfan of the P&W, im spoiled by seeing some very rare locomotives. i was luckey enough to see one of 2 b23-s7r "super7" locomotives on nr2.

heres nr2's power leaving the engine house.

nr2 crosses railroad avenue switching the north end of plainfield yard.

nr2 pulls 21 ortner hoppers from the south end of plainfield.

nr3 switches the north end of plainfield when nr2 leaves.

nr2 in groton, about to switch tilcon.

about this time, it started to pour with rain. if the train crews work in the crappy new england weather, ill railfan in it too.

heres 2 good shots of the super 7 at groton tilcon.

nr2 backs over the bridge at winthrop cove in new london.(long hood forewards doesnt happen too often on the P&W)

a pretty good look at the super 7 in new london.

heres the back end of that super 7 in a very over grown new london yard.

because of the weather, we couldnt continue to old saybrook. the super 7 was probably either put on NH1, or turned on the wye for the return trip.
ive got a few more photos of plainfield if anyones interested.
do trains run on labor day?
GEARHEAD426[/quote]

#294588  by The RailMan

Awesome shots!

I unknowingly spotted a P&W train today! I was up in Brookfield, CT off of I-84 (exit 9 on Rt. 25) for work doing a delivery (we are based 70something miles away in the Hunts Point section of the Bronx) and we are turning onto the road and see a few cars carrying what I'm guessing was plywood and possibly some other lumber products. I didnt have my camera on me, and it was raining pretty bad, so I stayed in the truck and used my cell phone and now have a new background pic on my camera phone.

#295485  by gearhead426

thanks.
i was recently watching the New England Central in new london after shcool, and saw the P&Wheading northon the other side of the river. the Super7 is still working out of Plainfield, and still facing south.
GEARHEAD426

#295719  by Guilford Guy

nice nice geary.
I remember when we used to take the ferry to Long Island to visit my grandmother and her summer house we'd usually see P&W roll out of New Londone yard with 3 loco's at one end and 1 at the other.
They'd back out then head east.