Railroad Forums 

• PW Locomotives Leased to Other Railroads

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1408681  by 161pw165

So with the MBTA leasing PW 4001-4005 in addition to AMTK having the 2006 & 2010 and PAR with the 2009, if memory serves that's 1/4 of their roster. Is this a reflection of a weakening traffic base or have they acquired too much power recently in anticipation of business that hasn't materialized? Are they now experiencing what the rest of the industry has been going through this year? Maybe trying to get some short-term revenue for the new owners?
 #1408720  by F-line to Dudley via Park

They've been cycling through some leasers of their own, so could simply be a market fluctuation that there's more total money to be had leasing out a few of their own while picking up a few GATX rentals on the side. Pan Am does this sort of simultaneous give-and-take leasing all the time, so it's hardly a new thing. It could mean nothing more than we're just entering a brief phase where it's economically advantageous for carriers of medium-or-better roster size to engage in more short-term horse trading.

Probably doesn't have a lot to do with G&W. P&W has mostly a GE Dash 8 roster, with ongoing purge over the last few years of its EMD's (GP40's are all gone, just a half-dozen GP38's left and couple recent SD70M cheapie pickups to buff out the six-axle ranks). NECR is nuthin' but EMD Geeps and SD40's with just a couple Dash 8's shared with CSOR, and SLR is nuthin' but Geeps of various stripes. Doesn't make any sense for the new mothership in Darien to force top-down fleet fragmentation on any of its New England roads when maint costs are most optimal keeping the EMD's with the EMD users and the GE's with the GE user.
 #1408967  by MEC407

Why is the T leasing five Dash 8s?
 #1409334  by BostonUrbEx

Do you mean why are they leasing in general, or specifically that model of locomotive? To the latter, I'm not sure.

Keolis was down to a single working switcher, the 904, when the lease was executed. 3247, 3248, and 3249 were all at BET. The 904 was being used for both the North Side work train during the day and the North Side wash train at night. The Readville Switcher was using the 1119, I believe. There's a big crunch right now for working locomotives and in-service coaches, so using an engine suitable for passenger service as a switcher wasn't the best idea. These P&W engines are also equipped with ACSES, which is crucial for South Side service.

Currently the 4003 is on the North Side work/wash trains. I assume the 904 went to the Readville Switcher on the South Side and the other engines haven't shown up yet?
 #1409344  by MEC407

BostonUrbEx wrote:Do you mean why are they leasing in general, or specifically that model of locomotive? To the latter, I'm not sure.
I was referring to both the model and the quantity. I had no idea that 75% of their official work locomotives were OOS. What's up with that?
 #1409350  by GP40MC1118

The Gensets are in storage with multiple issues. The 3249 has been out for a long time, with the
3248 joining it a few weeks. The 3247, in the meantime, has been run into the ground. Apparently
that kind of usage finally caught up to it.

The 904 is in the shop too since last week, which leaves the 4003 for the Northside. In fact, it will
be on a Worcester Line Stone Train Sunday out of BET. Dumping between CP4-CP11.

D