Railroad Forums 

• P&W railroad cars...

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1368922  by FLRailFan1

I am wondering if P&W have freight cars...I was at a railroad crossing and I saw a railroad box car with WRWK as the reporting mark. I believe it's the reporting mark of the Warwick Railroad, which was brought by the P&W. Do they have boxcars, or is it another road reporting Mark?

Thanks...
 #1370653  by jwhite07

Yes, Providence and Worcester owns and and still actively assigns WRWK reporting marks to freight cars, including boxcars and many other types of cars. No idea what the criteria is regarding the choice of PW vs. WRWK reporting mark assignments; both are used, likely determined by some sort of legal or tax reasoning.
 #1371430  by YamaOfParadise

From what I can tell, P&W uses WRWK to designate its free-runner cars. Besides from whatever organizational benefits of keeping track of which is what and off of P&W's books directly, the big reason for this is most likely because WRWK is still a Class III railroad on paper, which (I believe) nets a higher per diem rate than if they were under the P&W mark (Class II).

There's a couple hundred of WRWK cars, at least based on the roster at rrpicturearchives.
 #1373338  by fogg1703

WRWK reporting marks are used in the GATX railcar lease fleet under an agreement after GATX bought stake in the PW.