Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern (and UP) locomotives in Providence 8/30/15

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1346413  by v8interceptor

While traveling past P&W's trackage on the Providence/Pawtucket line (adjacent to the NEC and the MBTA's layover facility) yesterday (Sunday 8/30) I was extremely surprised to see a 4 unit consist of foreign road power parked next to a long string of coal gondolas.
The locomotives included a Union Pacific unit (most likely an SD70M, but could have been an SD60M), two NS GE widecabs (most likely Dash 9's) and an NS 4 axle GP...
Does anyone know why they were there? Is this some kind of new pool arrangement; perhaps with the NS/Pan Am Rail Patriot Corridor Joint venture?
I could not get photos or road numbers as I passed; has anyone else?
I see P&W operations in R.I on an almost weekly basis and I have never seen foreign power (not counting leased engines) anywhere except up in Worcester when CSX trains access the P&W intermodal facilities..
 #1346627  by v8interceptor

Rockingham Racer wrote:I believe they came off PAS at Gardner, MA on the oil train [66N I believe is the symbol on PAS].
So is P&W running oil trains to the Port of Providence? I guess they could for transshipment to tanker but the only large scale tank car movements I've normally seen around here are ethanol..