Railroad Forums 

• Middletown Branch - Wethersfield Secondary

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1490506  by Larry

Went out and looked at the progress of this tie replacement and it looks like about 3 of four ties to each piece of rail. They were in Rocky Hill yesterday and I hear they are off now until next week around Wed. They did not know if any ballast was to come either. If they are going to move freight over line it will be slow and not a lot based on what I see being done at this time. Still though, keeping the line open is awesome and maybe business can pick up.
 #1490517  by bwparker1

FWIW the Town of Wethersfield in an email on the project stated the railroad had no immediate plans to move any freight over the line, although there may be some equipment moves happening.
 #1490688  by Plate C

Nice to see this portion getting attention, again. I walked the line from Hartford to RH earlier in the year and it was pretty thickly covered in vegetation, including some thorny trees that had grown through the rails in several places. Still a few switches and sidings intact from days gone by, although I imagine another decade could pass without seeing them get much use. Still, good to see things opening up.
 #1490689  by bwparker1

How long did that walk take? I’ve aleays wanted to walk it. Just need to make the time.
 #1490984  by Larry

I took a look at the Wethersfield line again yesterday, all MOW vehicles tied up in Rocky Hill by ferry. Ties spread to be put in out all the way to rte 15 bridge that crosses line in Wethersfield, Hartford line. I believe they will be back Tomorrow, more likely Thursday to continue work going North.
 #1491102  by Plate C

bwparker1 wrote:How long did that walk take? I’ve aleays wanted to walk it. Just need to make the time.
Don't recall, maybe spent an hour each way? Much of the time was navigating those thorny trees and such, rip stop fabric definitely recommended. There wasn't a ton to see for the efforts, most was closer to the Hartford side.
 #1491234  by johnpbarlow

Is this rehab motivated by enabling G&W/P&W/CSOR to deliver 286K cars to Hartford via bypassing Amtrak's trestle in downtown Hartford and Conn River bridge at Windsor Locks?
 #1502333  by johnpbarlow

Update on status of P&W rehab of Middletown Branch (aka "Wethersfield Secondary") from Hartford Courant of 3/1/19:

https://www.courant.com/community/wethe ... story.html

Excerpt:
A public information meeting will be held Wednesday to inform residents that freight railroad operations on the Wethersfield Secondary Branch will be resuming after a decade-long break.

For more than a decade, freight operations have been inactive in town. But last fall, crews worked on restoring railroad ties and trimming trees along the route to prepare it for use.

The railroad runs parallel to the Silas Deane Highway and has 22 crossings in Wethersfield, according to the DOT.
 #1502341  by NHV 669

....with a completely unrelated picture of a BNSF runaway from 2001. Was it that hard to find a picture of the actual operator of the line?
 #1502402  by johnpbarlow

The ridiculous reference to the May 15, 2001 runaway freight train in Ohio was the "Crazy Eights" event: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSX_8888_incident

Sounds like the Courant is raising the ludicrous possibility of a out of control P&W racing through Wethersfield! Guess the article could have added "Run for your lives!"

The picture in the article, a stock BNSF coal train image courtesy of Getty Images taken by a Tom Pennington at Ft Worth, TX that was used in an article about Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway acquiring BNSF in 2009, is also completely irrelevant: https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news ... o/92638216.

Talk about fake news!
 #1502822  by Larry

Did anyone get to the meeting in Wethersfield last night and if so, what were the results?
 #1502860  by shadyjay

Noticed a new milepost, 23, along the Valley Line about 1/4-1/2 mile north of the Arrigoni Bridge in Middletown. The old milepost system had MP 0 at the diamond in Middletown. So where is this MP 23 based out of? Its not the southern end of the Valley line (which would be MP 28-29 or so), its not Hartford as that's not 23 miles to the north, so is it Cedar Hill or the south end of the Air Line?
 #1503188  by MikeMM

I went to the Wethersfield meeting last Wednesday put on by the CT DOT.

Service through Wethersfield will begin sometime in April.
Two trains per day ...maybe. One North, one South.
Speed ... 10mph.
Eight public crossing.........horns at each one!

Freight mostly building material. No planned hazardous material.
The P & W presently use Springfield >>Worcester>>Norwich >> New Haven.
This Springfield >>Hartford>> to New Haven will save a lot of time and mileage.

Residents voiced displeasure with horns mostly. The mayor said there are quite hours after 10 PM. Sorry FEDS over rule that!

Residents also would like to know what is sprayed to keep down vegetation as the Wethersfield meadows is used as farmland.

Hope this is helpful...................I'm a newbie !!

Mike
 #1503200  by daybeers

Yes, thanks Mike, this is helpful info! I'm a little confused though. If the P & W wants to connect Hartford and New Haven with Springfield, why not take the Springfield Line?

Did they respond about spraying the vegetation?