Railroad Forums 

• Red Technologies Portland, CT

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1356444  by Pwrrfan

Just wanted to make a correction to a post I made before regarding how many cars Red Tech can ship out at a time. They can send out more than 5 cars at a time provided they don't contain a certain amount of chemicals/hazardous material.

Also something to note, they seem to be doing pretty well. 19 loads shipped outbound the first week, and earlier last month, there were about 13-16 cars, I wasn't able to get an accurate count, for Red Tech in Portland. 6 were on the Old Mid-State siding, and there were 7-8 on the Red Tech siding, not including any that may have been located inside the building. There were also what looked to be maybe 6-10 cars for them being stored in the north yard on the same day. Let's hope they do well, and ensure that the bridge stays in use.
 #1356882  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Drove by there on Route 9 last week, and the sewer project has now cleared downtown and moved up to Bridge St. underneath the Arrigoni Bridge, with heavy construction starting out of the water treatment plant where the pipeline will presumably meet the segment being laid at Bridge St.. Any temp track outages to the Valley Line around the grade crossings should be fully patched up and operable again. And it doesn't look like the upper Valley is going to be affected at all because they're trenching adjacent to the tracks closer to the Route 9 shoulder. Maybe a 1-day outage if they have to trench underneath the grade crossing at the treatment plant driveway, but that's it. Don't know how they're getting the pipeline across the Mattabesset River...bolted to the side of the Route 9 bridge, bolted to the side of the rail bridge, or on its own bridge?
 #1357416  by ebtmikado

The track south of Washington Ave. is still dug up, and many lengths of pipe are laid on top, as of yesterday, 11-13-2015.
Lee
 #1368926  by FLRailFan1

Pwrrfan wrote:The locomotive in the photo, 582, is a B40-8W, a four axle unit. Six axles are still banned north of Reeds, and that probably won't change.

As for 150, who knows?

5 cars is the max because of FRA track standards.
5 cars only? Are they the only customers in Portland? Anyone in the old Stone plant? On my model railroad layout, I have the Airline to Amston and Colchester. It serves a few real businesses (Dickerson Witch Hazel and Bevin Bells) and a few fictional businesses (Soundcraft Marine, Colchester Wooden Products), but then, I have the P&W go from Hartford to Coventry RI.
 #1368936  by bwparker1

Only RED. There is a company in the old Stone building but does not use rail service. Some type of plastics company I believe.
 #1393762  by bwparker1

I'm kind of surprised no one else has reported this but RED Technologies recently acquired a Shuttlewagon to move gondola cars around in their Portland facility. Attached are some photos from May 2016.
The Shuttle Wagon
The Shuttle Wagon
File Jul 20, 6 03 12 PM (Medium).jpeg (111.99 KiB) Viewed 5352 times
The Facility
The Facility
File Jul 20, 6 03 30 PM (Medium).jpeg (122.62 KiB) Viewed 5352 times
The "Yard"
The "Yard"
File Jul 20, 6 02 40 PM (Medium).jpeg (160.94 KiB) Viewed 5352 times
 #1503790  by johnpbarlow

Thread bump to report that P&W has filed with STB to discontinue its common carrier service on the Portland Industrial Track that is owned by the Connecticut Department of Transportation ("CDOT") so that the Red Tech rail traffic can expand.

Excerpt:
Since 2009, there has been only one active customer, RED Technologies, LLC ("REDTECH"), on the Line Segment. In calendar year 2018 (the "Base Year"), REDTECH shipped / received 402 carloads of freight. REDTECH anticipates that its traffic will increase, but only if it can obtain additional track to switch its operations. Together with P&W, REDTECH proposes to build a sidetrack on its property along side of the Line Segment. In addition, it would like to use the Line Segment as part of its plant switching operations. Since there are no other customers along the Line Segment, P&W is willing to sublease the Line Segment to REDTECH, but only if it is permitted to discontinue its common carrier service over the Line Segment. COOT is agreeable to the proposed discontinuance of service, and the sublease to REDTECH. P& W would continue to provide common carrier service over the remainder of the Line, including the common carrier service to REDTECH. By discontinuing service, and not abandoning the Line Segment, P&W would retain the right to reactivate the Line Segment if in the future common carrier service to additional customers were to be reasonably requested.
Filing is at: https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 247300.pdf