Railroad Forums 

• Gardner Branch

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1286967  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Does P&W have any online customers on the Gardner Branch between Barbers and Gardner? Other than the industrial park right at Barbers east of the I-190 overpass. Tracing the line on Google Maps and what 3 or 4 sidings I did count looked pretty desolate and/or overgrown.
 #1287231  by QB 52.32

No online customers on the Gardner branch at this point in time. Sidings, I believe, in Holden and Hubbardston, and a spur into the Holden Industrial Park, but no local traffic to my knowledge.
 #1293230  by johnhenry

Curious about the signal light at Barbers Junction. It is located south of the powered switch. Does anyone know its function?
I saw it green on both sides the other day, with the switch lined to the branch to Ayer. I think a westbound Guilford/CSX train had recently passed.
I seem to remember it red at other times and maybe flashing (not sure of memory on this).
 #1293245  by TrainManTy

johnhenry wrote:Curious about the signal light at Barbers Junction. It is located south of the powered switch. Does anyone know its function?
I saw it green on both sides the other day, with the switch lined to the branch to Ayer. I think a westbound Guilford/CSX train had recently passed.
I seem to remember it red at other times and maybe flashing (not sure of memory on this).
It's a switch position target. There's another at the other end of the single track alongside I-290 right next to WPI's new Gateway Park garage. (Google Maps link) Indications on this one seem to be green (straight) and yellow (diverging).
 #1299822  by johnhenry

Gardner job took 92 cars down from Gardner late this afternoon! Power southbound was 3902, slug3005, and 3906. There were 4 loaded autoracks, 27 general freight, and 61 empty (limestone?) hoppers.
 #1299878  by Billthee

^ 3005 isn't a slug, its a "B unit". Slugs don't have their own prime mover, etc. They just use power from their "mother" locomotive and provide more traction.
 #1304627  by johnhenry

An NS GE dash9 from PanAm delivered a loaded covered hopper to St Gobain on the Gardner branch this afternoon.
 #1356373  by b&m 1566

I often see the train going through Holden and most times there is an engine that brings up the rear; why?
 #1356442  by Pwrrfan

Most P&W trains have locomotives on the rear, especially the locals. Even though WOGR/GRWO isn't a "switching" train per say, as compared to CT-1, NH-1, NR-4, etc, part of using a rear locomotive is to facilitate switching.
 #1356452  by johnpbarlow

b&m 1566 wrote:I often see the train going through Holden and most times there is an engine that brings up the rear; why?
The PAS yard at Gardner often has every cars occupying every track except one upon WOGR's arrival from Worcester. When WOGR arrives Gardner, the lead engines separate and park in whatever available space is at the east end of the yard on an occupied track. The engine that is on the rear pushes WOGR's cars onto the empty track and then unites with the parked engines, grabs loads for Worcester and heads home.
 #1383399  by MEC407

Video by skyman2002:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lgX3rQB98Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1400630  by BM6569

"Nearly $2.4 million in federal funding has been secured for the Providence and Worcester Railroad Company's Gardner Branch rail line that will be used to reduce the risk of derailments that could impact the drinking water supplied to Worcester, officials said.

The $2,376,682 grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation will rehabilitate 12 miles of track along the Gardner branch."

"The project will install continuous welded rail and ties, making service more efficient."

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/ ... ts_24.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1401363  by CPF363

Wonder if PAR will look for this same kind of finding to rebuild the Worcester Route from West Boylston to Clinton considering it crosses the Wachusett Reservoir and run in close proximity other parts of the reservoir on the Clinton stretch.
 #1401628  by jaymac

PWs 582 and 4006 were idling pre-dawn 09-21-2002 on the Gardner yard lead, all 3 yard tracks having racks. Did the 09-20 GRWO have to can, or is there a new operational pattern?
Tnx!