Railroad Forums 

• Pawtucket Yard still in use?

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1251752  by GE45tonner

Is the railroad yard off the NEC between Conant St and Pine Street still active? It seems pretty desolate, and I can't imagine it's purpose. Didn't Boston Railway Terminal move into there for a bit?
 #1252180  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

The yard is still intact as far as I can see when rolling by at 50 mph. The yard lead currently has about 10 empty coal cars abutting the Mainline Trk 2. Amtrak just rebuilt the yard lead leading up to LAWN interlocking, new ties, ballast and tamped in the Fall '12. Regarding the empty coal cars, that is the only use I have seen of this yard in a long time
 #1253002  by v8interceptor

The P&W still parks strings of Autoracks, coal gondolas, and tank cars (ethanol mostly, IINM) but does not do any classification of cars there. P&W's primary yard for RI is only a few miles away at Valley Falls (Cumberland), RI so Pawtucket has long been a secondary facility holding whatever won't fit in the small Valley Falls yard.
 #1253128  by Billthee

GE45tonner wrote:Is the railroad yard off the NEC between Conant St and Pine Street still active? It seems pretty desolate, and I can't imagine it's purpose. Didn't Boston Railway Terminal move into there for a bit?
The yard along RT 95 in Pawtucket is called the receiving yard. The yard he is referring to begins under the newly reconstructed Conant St bridge in Pawtucket, RI. The last time I saw this yard being used there was a travel crane set up for offloading steel from flats and bulkhead flats onto over the road trailers, but it's even been at least a couple years for that. If you click the following link the yard is directly east of the pin. From the aerial view it looks more like a terminus station than a rail yard.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=conant+s ... CAkQ_AUoAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1253736  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

as Billthee explained, the yard along I-95 is the P&W Recieving yard, empty coal, empty loads, racks, etc are stored here, usually for the night road job to pick up on the return from Davisville, RI. To access this yard from the Amtrak Mainline, one must travel WEST from either Trk 1 or 2 and onto Trk 7, then make a reverse move EAST to clear the switch, located near the Lonsdale OHB. The Old Pawtucket Yard currently still has those 10 or so empty coal cars on the yard lead. Access to this yard is obtained via LAWN interlocking from Trk 2 (switch located under Mineral Spring Ave. OHB)
 #1259509  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:as Billthee explained, the yard along I-95 is the P&W Recieving yard, empty coal, empty loads, racks, etc are stored here, usually for the night road job to pick up on the return from Davisville, RI. To access this yard from the Amtrak Mainline, one must travel WEST @ LAWN int. from either Trk 1 or 2 and onto Trk 7, then make a reverse move EAST to clear the switch, located near the Lonsdale OHB. The Old Pawtucket Yard currently still has those 10 or so empty coal cars on the yard lead. Access to this yard is obtained via LAWN interlocking from Trk 2 (switch located under Mineral Spring Ave. OHB)
 #1266629  by v8interceptor

Billthee wrote:
GE45tonner wrote:Is the railroad yard off the NEC between Conant St and Pine Street still active? It seems pretty desolate, and I can't imagine it's purpose. Didn't Boston Railway Terminal move into there for a bit?
The yard along RT 95 in Pawtucket is called the receiving yard. The yard he is referring to begins under the newly reconstructed Conant St bridge in Pawtucket, RI. The last time I saw this yard being used there was a travel crane set up for offloading steel from flats and bulkhead flats onto over the road trailers, but it's even been at least a couple years for that. If you click the following link the yard is directly east of the pin. From the aerial view it looks more like a terminus station than a rail yard.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=conant+s ... CAkQ_AUoAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now I understand.
The original poster is asking about the former NY,NH &H piggyback ramp yard that is near Mineral spring Ave.
 #1282482  by GE45tonner

v8interceptor wrote:
Billthee wrote:

Now I understand.
The original poster is asking about the former NY,NH &H piggyback ramp yard that is near Mineral spring Ave.
Thanks, That's exactly what I was wondering, wasn't sure what it used to be used for now I do...Thanks for the info guys!
 #1297397  by NHRAND

FOR A COMPLETE HISTORY OF THE PAWTUCKET YARDS - THE TEAM YARDS AND THE HUMP YARD - PLEASE GO TO MY WEBSITES.

http://sites.google.com/site/pawtucketcentralfalls
http://sites.google.com/site/humpyardprovidence

FOR OTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THE "OLD" P&W, YOU WILL ALSO FIND LINKS TO MY SITES REGARDING THE RAILROADS OF RHODE ISLAND, THE PROVIDENCE ROUNDHOUSES, THE RAILROAD STATIONS IN PROVIDENCE AND THE MOSHASSUCK VALLEY RR.